2019 Garden Thread

Farmfresh

Re: 2019 Garden Thread

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun May 12, 2019 8:56 pm

I have never tried, but I suspect that you are correct. The determinates have been man manipulated to produce all of the crop at once. I am pretty sure it would not do a repeat cropping.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Dirtdevil

Unread post by Dirtdevil » Thu May 23, 2019 7:17 am

For folks who don't think they have room to have much garden. I have a fifty by a hundred foot garden. It's more than enough room to plant whatever I need other than grains. It's about fifty per cent raised beds. However the last few years I have been planting more and more into containers and these could be put just about anywhere there is sun or partial sun. I started doing this because I'm sick of trying to control weeds and It started making no sense to me to keep building soil for all that space when something like a winter squash or tomato only needs an eight inch hole every two feet. I plant most things in five gallon paint and drywall buckets now but many things I just do in gallon paint cans. For instance I can grow eight carrots in a gallon can. You can grow anything in a gallon paint can that can be grown in one square of a square foot garden. I can grow 13 beets in a five gallon pail. This year I am growing most of my potatoes in a five gallon bucket. Admittedly I have access to all the containers I want but with some effort they are readily available to anyone. Check bakeries, or look for construction projects and ask the drywallers to leave the buckets out of the dumpster for you. Same with plastic paint cans. I cut the bottoms out of many paint cans and space them out on a raised bed to plant tomatoes or cukes in. The roots can eventually grow down into the beds soil and the top part of the bucket where the seedling gets planted can be easily and much more cheaply filled with compost and amendments. Another way to do it is with a dutch bucket growing system where no soil is required. These can be stacked up a tiered wood platform like for bleachers at a stadium, as high as you want to reach. I'll post a video of how one guy does it and from there you can get all kinds of information.

kbhlmh

Unread post by kbhlmh » Mon May 27, 2019 3:55 pm

Thanks for sharing!
Karen - SW Florida Zone 10a
Just A Small Yard Gardener
Me 57 |em27| DH 62
DS1 33, DD1 30, DD2 30, DS2 29, DS3 13 |em20|
|em21| |em21| |em21| |em21| |em21|

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:16 pm

I never heard of someone contracting Legionella from potting mix before

https://theplantguide.net/2019/01/03/da ... -gardener/

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:29 pm

I haven't either. I think how this happened has a clue in the location. This gardener lives in Christchurch which is in New Zealand. A hot and humid part of the world.

Legionaires disease is a kind of bacterial pneumonia that you get from inhaling contaminated water droplets. I remember the news stories about when it was discovered. It is called Legionaires disease because of an outbreak in Philadelphia at a convention of the American Legion. There was some sort of contamination in the air conditioning system the convention center used where the moist droplets of contaminated water were in the duct work and spread around the building.

The guy in your story lived in a hot humid area and was opening the bags and then misting them with water before using the soil. It sounds like a bag or two was contaminated and the bacteria grew in the warm moist then when he sprinkled it was able to be inhaled.

I looked it up and low and behold ... I think this is the news story that I saw as a kid about the disease. YouTube has everything ... I swear it does!

Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:49 pm

Interesting video FF, thanks for sharing it. We had a large outbreak of Legionnaires at a veterans home here in Illinois a few years ago that killed several people. They finally closed the home after the deaths. We’ve also had the bacteria found in the state capital and IIRC at the governors mansion.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:59 pm

We need rain, I’ve got cracks in the garden soil as wide as my thumb. It looks like both the peach tree and the apricot tree are dying and will need to come down this Summer or Fall. The Royal Empire apple has some fruit on it but I’ll have to see if any of it matures to edible fruit. The Granny Smith apple doesn’t have a single apple on it.

The raspberries are growing well as are the cherry bushes. I’m not sure if the cherries on the cherry tree will develop or not this year. I won’t have any blackberries this year either.

The garlic is starting to die back a bit, they’ll probably need to be pulled in a week or two. The tomatoes and peppers from my neighbor aren’t growing at all.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:22 am

My only real harvests so far have been lettuces & peas...and those peas are coming like gang busters. The first planting of taters are finally dying back and soon to be harvested. Most of everything I planted seem to be growing, though it's still too early to tell if anything will produce.

The broccoli I planted actually came up looking like something else and going to seed without making a head......I just pulled it for compost & will try again with new seed later. This year I did find more sweet taters slips, but nothing came up. It's just been too cold. So I'll plant something else in that spot. Also my strawberries put on about 10 berries at the beginning of the month...…...but nothing since....or the rats or squirrels have beat me to them. Though usually when that happens, they've just nibbled holes in the berries and left the rest....I don't even find that. |em22| The raspberries are growing, but I haven't had a chance to check for any berries yet. It may be just a bit early for them here.

I do hope summer will show up one of these days, and that I didn't miss it or that it was those few weeks in January or February or was it March? that was in the 80's for so long. |em2|

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:35 am

My taters are also on the downswing. I figure on digging them with the kid sometime next week.

Return to “Gardening”