Rocket Stoves and all things pertaining there to!

Icu4dzs

Rocket Stoves and all things pertaining there to!

Unread post by Icu4dzs » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:38 pm

The subject of the Rocket stove and everything related will be the focus of this thread. I’ve built several rocket stoves and heaters so I’m willing to discuss this with anyone who might be interested.
I’ll find my photos of the history of my work and post it here.
Cheers
Trim sends
You're believing it is not required for it to be true. TMM
Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//

Farmfresh

Re: Rocket Stoves and all things pertaining there to!

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:16 pm

Excellent. I will be watching this thread.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Dirtdevil

Unread post by Dirtdevil » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:10 pm

I have a few technical issues I'd like to discuss but in case anyone else is interested in this I'm going to wait until an overview of the subject is presented here so that it doesn't get side tracked early on.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:37 pm

What kind of issues DD?

Icu4dzs

Unread post by Icu4dzs » Wed May 01, 2019 9:24 am

DD mentioned he was going to count up the number of firebricks he has stored up and I guess one has to consider exactly what type of rocket stove/heater you want to build. Currently, there are (AFAIK) two basic configurations. The first is the traditional set up with the "J" style magazine/burn chamber/heat riser which is what I have built.
The second is what is called a "batch" style stove/heater and it requires a great deal more firebricks. I have a friend here in town (the veterinarian) who has been working on his. He and I went in on a deal where I had traveled and was headed back through Sioux Falls where they sell them. I picked up roughly 150 fire bricks and sold him half, so the number 75 sticks in my brain as what is essentially needed for that "batch" style.
Basically, the batch style is where you fill the magazine chamber with a number of logs and get it burning. The fire heats the burn chamber and the heat is transmitted out the heat riser.

Now rocket stoves and rocket mass heaters are simply related by the fact that a rocket mass heater is a rocket stove thtt sends the heat from the exhaust through a series of large pipes which run through a "heat battery." Cob (sand, water, clay and straw) are mixed together to form the heat battery. The idea being that you burn the wood up until you go to bed and let the heat that is stored in the heat battery keep the room warm through the night.

There is one guy who built a rocket heater (not mass heater) who calls himself "Zerofossilfuel" and he published his plans and drawings. I'll try to get some of them posted here or get a link to them. He is an interesting guy. I watched his videos for a long time but after a while, I got consumed by my own work and didn't have time. What is unique about his use of half fire bricks for his fire path from magazine to heat riser.
Cheers
Trim sends
Trim sends
//BT//

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Wed May 01, 2019 10:39 am

I would love to build a rocket stove in our yard. I have quite a bit of standard brick and block - gathered from around this messy place, but I need a good plan of action. I want something that I can use to burn up some of our sticks and cook a pot of stew on at the same time.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Icu4dzs

Unread post by Icu4dzs » Sat May 04, 2019 6:47 am

I don’t think I would recommend using any standard bricks. Fire bricks are the only thing you want to use in a rocket stove because of the intense heat that’s generated in the Combustion chamber itself. I’ve seen temperatures up to 900° in mine so I know that a regular brick would not survive for very long at that temperature. They would crack and once they crack you have a chance of losing everything. They should be OK for using as a support system but I would not use them anywhere in the combustion chamber or heat riser.
Trim sends
//BT//

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sat May 04, 2019 10:09 am

Advice taken. Would I need a double layer of fire brick at the combustion chamber or would a single layer be sufficient?

I keep thinking back to those old BBQ chimneys that people built in backyards in the past. I think it would be cool to build something similar, but updated. It seems the ones I remember were L shaped with a chimney of sorts and an open grill area.

I would like something not too big - with a fire pit area for viewing and burning up yard sticks and a rocket stove for cooking. I could even be convinced to have a pizza type oven in the chimney if you twisted my arm. Any bright ideas for something like that? I am more interested in it being compact and efficient than I am fancy and show stopping.

Icu4dzs

Unread post by Icu4dzs » Sat May 04, 2019 3:25 pm

A single layer of full-size fire bricks is plenty for anything that you’re going to do in terms of the rocket stove configuration. You can use half size bricks for the heat riser with no difficulty. I know there are a number of different configurations where people have use rocket stove as the heat source for a number of different kinds of items such as pizza ovens water heaters etc. so if you have a specific idea what you really want I might be able to find that on the Internet for you and help you with that.
There is a guy named Zerofossilfuel who made a really nice rocket heater for his small shop and he has the plans for it on his website. It is really a very good design and I think you would be very happy with it as he shows it in his plans.

You would benefit greatly by studying that and possibly just using exactly the way he calls for it because the way I did it was what he did and it really worked out well.
Another of the rocket stove developers is a fellow named Matt walker. Matt has come up with some really interesting variations of the rocket stove in terms of its actual design and they’re much more efficient and a better design in my opinion so you may want to find Matt walker and see what he has to offer. He usually uses the website BROAUDIO.
Ask any question you want. I’m always here to help you.
Cheers,
Trim sends
Trim sends
//BT//

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sat May 04, 2019 4:15 pm

I will put some more thought into all of this and look up your references. This might be a project that my hubby will want to embrace sooner than later. We shall see.

Return to “Wood Power”