PC'ing fruits?

Low acid foods, like most veggies, ready made recipes and meats all require pressure canning to keep them safe.
Old Fashioned

PC'ing fruits?

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Wed May 01, 2019 9:04 am

I know it's standard to WB fruit AND I know I could use the PC to WB......BUT I'm wondering about just PC'ing fruit and maybe everything from now on....mainly to save on the amount of water used. A couple inches vs several gallons can definitely save a couple bucks on the water bill over the canning season.

I suppose one drawback would be the final product(?) Does it give the fruit an off taste? |em22|

I'm asking now cause I picked up 6 pineapple yesterday 3 for $5 and don't want them to go to waste.

PS...….Farm I think we need another section for 'Open Kettle Method'.....just sayin

Farmfresh

Re: PC'ing fruits?

Unread post by Farmfresh » Wed May 01, 2019 10:31 am

Pressure canning fruit makes it mushy. It would work for things like apple sauces and fruit juices for sure. It would really save the steam in the house issues.

Gina does pineapple all of the time.

As for an Open Kettle section. You know that open kettle is evil. We only do that crazy stuff at our own risk.

|em28|
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Wed May 01, 2019 3:21 pm

I had WB some pineapple last year.....I think I'll try to PC it this time just to see how it will turn out. I did a search and one blog said to do it at 5lbs for like 15min. and and she did say some fruits tend to get mushy more than others. So we'll see how this works and if it does get mushy it will still be good eating. Something like peaches or pears I would stick with WB.

As for Open Kettle.....You know I like taking risks. But nevermind. |em28|

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Fri May 03, 2019 6:14 am

I would PC the harder fruits that might not be fully ripe like apples or pears but still to WB for softer stuff. The manufacturers PC everything so the pineapple should be okay processed that way as long as it isn’t too ripe.

Return to “Pressure Canning”