Older women pregnancy?

WhiteWolf

Older women pregnancy?

Unread post by WhiteWolf » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:01 pm

My D is 41. And her latest news is that she is pregnant. In the last year or so, she's done a complete 180 on wanting to have a child and be a mom. We know some of the drawbacks of being this old and carrying a child to term - to say nothing of the actual birth process.

Anyone have any experiences to share? She is (always has been) pretty fearless and intrepid about diving into adventures and fully assuming that all will be well. Experience has proven her right many many times. And I've always "seen" her - since she became independent - being drawn toward a domestic, and homesteading lifestyle. Yes, she got all her adventuring out of the way in the past 20 years. She is ready to be a settled person... and she and papa will likely settle on my land, since I have plenty to share.

That end of things is going to come together pretty nicely, I think. He also a homesteading type and already asked about bringing his geese and ducks over to take advantage of my large pond. But we're taking things one day at a time for now.

Welcome to the land of insanity, which is usually what my life is like. My "hermiting" days look to be coming to an end (and it was still very valuable time).

Farmfresh

Re: Older women pregnancy?

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:32 pm

What wonderful news!!! Especially the part about them living on your land close by!

My D1 just had her first baby this year. She is 35. She came through healthy and strong, but spent most of her pregnancy puking. (nothing to do with age, just this pregnancy) The main thing is that old moms get tired. It takes a lot out of you. When my D1 finally did deliver they literally took a lot out of her as well. After a bit of hard labor they decided to do a C-section. My new "little"granddaughter (I call her Kitten online) weighed in at 10 pounds and 7 oz!

Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:10 pm

Well, let's try this again...…had a post all typed and then it was gone.

Long story short I guess...…..I have 3 boys. #1 is from my first marriage and was born when I was 21. Then after divorce, years of being single and 8 years after second marriage & 7 years after a miscarriage along comes #2 and 2 years & 4 days later comes #3.....I was 39 & 41 when they were born. All my pregnancies and births went fairly easy and they were all healthy and fine, full term and delivered vaginally. It was afterward, that I had problems with post-partum depression & psychosis with all of them that lasted for years. Long hard struggles, but didn't have anything to do with my age.

With #2, we were advised to get an amniocentesis and other tests to determine any problems.....hubs & I refused due to the risk of miscarriage from the tests. I had already had one 7 years prior and didn't want to chance it.

Honestly, there are risks having babies at any age. Down's Syndrome, Autism, physical handicaps or whatever......can happen to anyone at any age. It's just the risk is higher as we get older. But you &/or your DD, must ask yourselves.....would it really make any difference? Wouldn't you love, care & nurture it anyway? Regardless of any challenges? |em25|

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:58 pm

Exactly!
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:28 am

Congratulations WW! Your D1 is very healthy and active so I doubt she’ll have any problems with the pregnancy or delivery. It may slow her down in regards to splitting wood this summer though if she has bouts of morning sickness.

WhiteWolf

Unread post by WhiteWolf » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:12 pm

Indeed Patrice! She is already talking about naps... and this is the one that can go 36hrs without sleep, when the situation calls for it. (you don't want to be around her, however...)

I'm glad to hear about your experiences. She's not looking to borrow trouble, but does understand that some things are a bit more difficult. That said, she is very fit and healthy and if she has to slow down some on the wood... that's what she'll do. She's doing a bit toward getting the sewing/art studio set up for now. We're re-arranging, I'm finishing the purge in here, and consolidating/storing as need be. (I have my own sewing addiction or did; it's been awhile. I might be headed into a painting phase again tho. We have great ventilation out here, so that's not going to be an issue, sharing the space.) And I have a feeling the first work I do in oils, will go rather fast. Years of not working... lots of looking... and my own changes, are of necessity going to change what kinds of things I produce, too.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:05 am

Make sure she take a good quality prenatal vitamin and some extra folic acid probably wouldn’t be a bad idea either. The folic acid is recommended to help prevent certain birth defects like clef lip and palate.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:15 am

I really don't think having a baby at 41 is that big of deal now usually. Medicine has come a LONG way.

I am actually more worried about her chasing a two or three year old at 43 or 44. THAT is when those naps will become VERY important. :lol:

Return to “The Ladies Room”