Some questions......

Old Fashioned

Some questions......

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:10 pm

Probably really dumb questions but inquiring minds want to know...…….

1. Why is it necessary to vacuum seal dehydrated foods? I'm thinking if they're properly stored...is it really necessary? Or is it more of an added precaution against moisture??? |em22|

2. And what's up with oxygen absorbers??? They don't help with moisture content....do they??? |em22|

3. And another thought......…about dehydrating vs canning. I realize dehydrating is easier to store, lightweight & takes up less room...…BUT you need alot of water/liquid to rehydrate everything, so wouldn't we need to store even more than is recommended???
Atleast with canning, MOST things are processed with water/liquid and doesn't usually need additional.

I do both drying & canning and figure if push comes to shove....I can add dried foods to a canned one, to make use of the liquid in the jars, instead of pouring it off. OK, was all this a 'Well DUH' to everyone? Or have others even considered the possibilities?? |em22|

Farmfresh

Re: Some questions......

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:21 pm

Yea most of the vacuum packing is to keep moisture OUT of the dehydrated stuff. I like to use old Gatorade bottles because they seal up nice and tight and keep dry stuff dry. They are also unbreakable... which is good around this house.

Yes you will need water to rehydrate somethings, but you are going to need to drink water or broth or something anyway. It is not like extra water, just part of your normal diet.

But honestly I don't dehydrate for TEOWAKI, I dehydrate for cooking convenience. It is a great way to sneak veggies into our diet easy to use and easy to store.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:11 pm

For me...….I'd have to store extra water cause I drink about a gallon or more every day in addition to water I eat. Well, wait a minute, that didn't sound right but you know what I mean.

1 or 2 cups of coffee to get woke up & moving, then water the rest of the day until I go to bed...and it doesn't sit long. I constantly drink it as I always feel thirsty, then of course I'm running to the bathroom about 10 times a day. While I'm probably at risk of diabetes, I have been checked & cleared

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:53 pm

I agree that vacuum sealing helps to keep the moisture from getting back into dehydrated fruits/vegetables. You need to keep the moisture out to prevent spoilage. They say glass jars are best for long term storage because they won’t let any moisture in if properly sealed.

The Gatorade bottles are good for everyday use but could let moisture in if used for long term storage.

The oxygen absorbers are also to extend shelf life. No they don’t absorb moisture but if the dry goods are sufficiently dry they won’t spoil in long term storage as long as light and oxygen can’t get into the storage containers.

I never really bother with adding oxygen absorbers to anything I’m storing. Even if it’s not as fresh as when first stored in a crisis who cares as long as it fills your belly and keeps you going.

I read someplace that if you’re storing stuff in 5 gallon buckets and you want the oxygen removed that you can add a tea light or votive candle to the center of the bucket that’s filled about 3/4 full. Light the candle, seal the bucket and the candle will burn until it uses up all of the oxygen in the bucket. You just have to make sure you don’t burn a hole in the lid with the flame.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:21 pm

I agree about filling your belly & keep you going......though it wouldn't hurt me to miss a meal or three |em28|

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:35 pm

Me either, I could probably miss a few weeks worth at this point. |em28|

Return to “Pantry and Storage”