What do you use to separate the jars in the canner when stacking

Low acid foods, like most veggies, ready made recipes and meats all require pressure canning to keep them safe.
Old Fashioned

What do you use to separate the jars in the canner when stacking

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:44 pm

I've looked around here and can't really find anything to use that has holes for steam/pressure to flow thru......or is it ok to use something solid like a plate or something??? |em22|

I do have some kind of, I think it's silicon, bought at Walmart as a canning rack. It is a small accordian like thing that you extend &/or attach to another to create a rack, but I've tried to use them before in the WB and it didn't work so well. The little attachment pieces didn't really attach like they should have and it springs back into place....even during the canning process |em3|

Farmfresh

Re: What do you use to separate the jars in the canner when stacking

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:16 pm

I think you need a real canning rack... if your canner is rated for two layers. Some are only supposed to can a single layer. If you need real racks they have them on Amazon. 2 for $12.00

2-Pack 11-Inch Pressure Cooker Canner Rack / Canning Rack for Pressure Canner - Stainless Steel - Compatible with Presto, All-American and More - By Impresa Products

Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:59 pm

It has to be rated?????? Well holy crap, I have NO idea. I thought it would be automatic since it's so tall |em22|

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:03 pm

If you only have 1 rack you can use a round cooling rack on the bottom of the canner and use the rack on the second layer or even a folded 100% cotton white towel. Make sure it’s 100% cotton WITHOUT any dye added to it, I learned that lesson the hard way with applesauce years ago. I used a blue knitted dishcloth and the dye leached out and ruined the entire batch of applesauce.

My pressure canner came with 2 of the racks like FF posted.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:29 pm

You did applesauce in the pressure canner too??????? Did you have blue applesauce? |em15|

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:34 pm

I did it in a water bath but yes, it turned blue from the dye :sad:

Return to “Pressure Canning”