Canning failures

Low acid foods, like most veggies, ready made recipes and meats all require pressure canning to keep them safe.
Old Fashioned

Canning failures

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:30 pm

Today was not a good day for canning. Used my Tattlers and had several failures and the corn turned brown & nasty looking.

Last night I canned 7 pints of green beans with Tattlers. All sealed, looked beautiful & not a problem.

Today I canned the rest of the green beans (14pts). All but one sealed......ok that's not bad at all. Then I did the corn. First batch of 8 pints caramelized and only 2 sealed. Not good at all......second batch of 8 pints I couldn't get the rings to tighten down and took several attempts before they did......on nearly every jar. Did not have that problem before with anything I've done. But considering the problem of turning brown, I made a few adjustments, as in keeping the heat lower and only running the canner 45 minutes and they still caramelized and only 1 jar sealed this time. |em3|

My process is...…

I filled all the jars

added hot water

put on the lids

put on & tightened the rings....then 1/4 turn back

set jars in canner till full, jars not touching

turned up the heat and put on the canner lid & locked into place

once it was steaming.....vented for 10 minutes & put on jiggler

Once jiggler starts to dance & gauge shows 10lbs (happens simultaneously?).....turned down the heat to 6 (the usual setting on my stove to maintain pressure) and started timing

Once times up, I shut off the heat & let cool until the safety valve drops

Then open canner & remove the jars

Was any of the steps above wrong? Something that I noticed today was the safety valve would pop up about the same time or right after the steam came out steady (point of the 10 minute count) and I couldn't remember if it was supposed to at that time or not. |em22|

Anyway, I am about fed up with canning corn cause it's just too darned picky. Then I'm not too sure about the Tattlers either....though they have worked great when I did the pea soup & meat. I'll never use them in a water bath because of the failure rate I've had in the past, but they did work fine in the pressure canner.......until the corn |em5|

patriceinil

Re: Canning failures

Unread post by patriceinil » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:38 pm

For the Tattlers I usually tighten the ring only until the jar starts to spin on the table/counter (like if you were screwing the ring on without holding the jar) that way it’s to the correct tightness.

It sounds like you may have something stuck inside the exhaust port/valve. You may need to run a pipe cleaner or a small brush through the valve to clean it. The other thing I do because I have hard water is to add a glug of white vinegar to the water in the canner to help control scale build up in the canner and on my jars.

I prefer to freeze corn because of the issues of it browning when pressure canned.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:51 am

I either freeze it or dehydrate it. Blanch both the same time at first. I agree... corn is too picky and it takes forever to can.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:30 am

Well another thought came to me about the corn...…..

When I bought it, it was relatively fresh. Probably picked the day before and from Eastern Washington. I did get it shucked & off the cobs in a timely manner...…….but didn't get it processed right away. So it had sat overnight before I could get to it...…...would sitting after being cut from the cob, effect the sugar levels and contribute to the caramelizing????

I did put some in the dehydrator, and when I checked it......it too had just started to change color. So I stuck it in a freezer bag and into the freezer. AND I happen to taste a piece and had a weird flavor & not very sweet at all. I know the corn had been good because we had some for dinner that first night.

So now I'm thinking it was my doing (or undoing) that created this mess, more than the corn itself. |em22|

As I've said....I've never had a problem canning the corn in the past, except flat sour but never this caramelization.....BUT I had always shucked, cut & processed it in the same day. This was the first time I had delayed.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:33 am

It still should not be giving you the trouble frozen. Delaying a bit to cut and process should not matter either. The fact that it is changing color in the dehydrator as well says to me it is the corn variety. Not you.

Some vegetables just make better preserves than others do. These are evidently quite heat sensitive. I have had corn that did this before as well. Not quite to the extent that your did, but it did caramelize. I am wondering if the sugars in that corn also interfered with your canning lids. If any sweet sticky juice squeezed up under that seal during canning it would not seal right.

It is not you. Cuss that batch of corn.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Return to “Pressure Canning”