Baleage, Haylage and Silage.

Old Fashioned

Baleage, Haylage and Silage.

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:31 am

Found a video of an operation making silage that peaked my interest enough to do a little further research about it, and I wondered if anyone here does it or has done it to provide food in winter for their ruminant animals.

The biggest difference between dry hay and any of the ---ages, is moisture content. Which can be up to 60(?)% vs below 15% for dry hay. Anyway, the main idea is to cut & chop the forage (usually any or most grass varieties, including corn) and pack it tight into storage right away. Either in a silo or plastic bags. The idea is to keep out oxygen with that much moisture, to eliminate the possibility of mold or bad bacteria. The good bacteria that thrives without oxygen helps to ferment the forage and is a cheaper and better way to feed vs dry hay...plus the animals seem to like it better and therefore eat more of it, resulting on higher weight gain.

https://beef.unl.edu/beefwatch/baleage- ... difference

Just putting this out there as another possibility of feeding the herds

Farmfresh

Re: Baleage, Haylage and Silage.

Unread post by Farmfresh » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:47 pm

Excellent video BTW...

I have not fed any of the ...ages. Really a new field for me in general. Remember I have not had ruminants for too many years. Horses are not fed baleage, haylage or silage. Their digestive systems just don't handle it.

I do know that the ferment is what makes it better. Hopefully others can chip in here with more and better info on the subject.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Return to “Livestock”