Magazines - What is Your Favorite?

Farmfresh

Magazines - What is Your Favorite?

Unread post by Farmfresh » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:07 am

We started chatting on another thread and I thought the subject needed its own. What is your favorite magazine and why? As winter and the long slow days snowed in with nothing to do approach maybe we need a new read around the house. I just might be in the market for a new subscription. What would be your suggestions?

Most of us have seen or more likely subscribed to Mother Earth News. Back in the day it WAS the magazine. These days it has competition.

Personally I no longer subscribe to MEN because it has gotten a little to flash and preppy (not prepper) for me. Instead my favorite homesteading magazine switched a number of years back. I subscribed to Countryside for many years. Pretty down to earth and a lot of it written by subscribers.

https://iamcountryside.com/magazine/
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

bittersweetbranch

Re: Magazines - What is Your Favorite?

Unread post by bittersweetbranch » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:57 am

Hobby Farm . Country. Missouri Life. Cappers. Interweave Knits. Interweave Crotchet. and Primitive Quilts and Projects.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:42 am

What do you like about each one?
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:43 am

I've got some legacy subscriptions. They pile up and I don't have any desire to read them. House Beautiful, Trailer Life, AARP, Schwab Investing, Country Living, and Woman's Day. If I get tired of the piles, I sit down, select a few, flip thru them and then take them to waiting rooms for others to read.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:56 pm

I had subscriptions to Mother Earth News, This Old House Magazine and Countryside for a while. Then I thinned out. Then I quit subscribing all together when Mason was a baby and he was here everyday all day. I just didn't have time.

I do miss Countryside. It might have to come back.

bittersweetbranch

Unread post by bittersweetbranch » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:07 pm

Hobby Farm is just as it sounds. Articles on everything from gardening, coops, haying, and all types and breeds of animals. And I love pictures, all of my magazines have lots of pictures.
The knitting, crotcheting, and quilting mags are full of free patterns and color photos of finished projects. These mags always have patterns I like and a lot of them. Not just one here and there.
Missouri Life is all about places to go visit and see. Weekend destinations and great places to eat. Places you might never find on your own.
Cappers is a lot like your Mother Earth News.
Country is all over the US. It's mostly just pictures. But, as I don't travel, I enjoy seeing pictures of other places and people and what they are doing where they are.
I also forgot to mention "Taste of Home" magazine. Best recipes ever!

bittersweetbranch

Unread post by bittersweetbranch » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:26 pm

I am curious about another, but haven't tried it. Has anyone here tried "MaryJane'sFarm"?

Dirtdevil

Unread post by Dirtdevil » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:11 am

It's been a lot of years since I tried anything from Maryjanes farm. My sons are helping keep her in business though.

I still subscribe to MEN. Just wish I could afford anything they advertise there. It was almost the perfect mag in the seventies. I do recommend the archive thumb drive they sell. Well worth the bucks. I have one on DVD from I think 2012. I need to get an upgrade.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:58 pm

I LOVE old MEN. Much better than the newer version if you ask me. The old mag you made stuff from junk the newer version you have to be a rich man to play the games.

Mary Jane's Farm has lots of pretty pictures. It is a little too girly and yuppy for me.

Dirtdevil

Unread post by Dirtdevil » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:55 pm

Remember the Whole Earth Catalog? Before the internet, that was about the only place you could find homesteading supplies all in one place. For a few short years a lot of people were all going in one direction and then bam it all blew apart.

Return to “Books and the Written Word”