Sourdough Starter & bread

Delicious and nutritious ... thanks to the right bacteria.
Old Fashioned

Sourdough Starter & bread

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:16 am

Not sure if this is really considered a ferment, but it kinda is...sorta. Anyway, I LOVE me some good sourdough bread either in a sandwich or a slice slathered in butter with supper, or just by itself. And that 'cheesy bacon ranch pull apart' AKA 'Crack Bread' is made with an unsliced loaf. I usually just buy it when I get the hankering but it's kinda spendy and it's getting difficult to find the unsliced loaf.

I had tried once before to make a starter, to make sourdough and I'm not sure what happened, but it didn't turn out as planned. The resulting bread tasted great, but more like saltine crackers or English muffins or something......definitely not sourdough. That was a few years ago. Well, now I'm at it again only this time I think I got it right

Since I don't eat it often, I don't really want to keep a starter going/growing for long. But I just cut down the amounts to a more manageable level.

I found this video and decided to try it. For one.....it was a quick way to get a starter ready for use in a short time (24 hours).

Quick starter.....

2C flour
1/2 tsp yeast
1 tsp sugar
2-3 C warm water

Mix & stir in large glass or non-reactive jar or container, Then set in a warm spot overnight to work.

I did this quick starter using only half measurements, then baked a loaf to make the Crack Bread. While it wasn't as sour as I would have liked, it did have that twang & was downright deeeelish. |em24|

Add a bit of salt and enough flour to about half of the amount of starter, to make a firm dough & let rise. When it's about doubled in volume punch down/knead a few times & put in a baking pan of choice, cover & let rise again. Then bake.

To the remaining starter, there is no need to add sugar & yeast....it's already in there so just add some flour & warm water & stir to mix well. Cover & set in a warm spot. You are supposed to 'feed' your starter everyday.....a bit of flour & a bit of water. If you eat alot of sourdough, then by all means add by the cupful and keep that adding up. While I love the stuff, we don't eat it often enough to justify that much so after I used part of the starter the first day, I've only added between 1/4 to 1/2 C flour & warm water. Well, the first & second days anyway...then I forgot to feed it for a couple days but my house had a faint hint of sour yeasty smell. I also used a half gallon jar and it's now about 1/3 full so I think tomorrow will be a good baking day.....to see how it tastes with just plain butter |em24|

Farmfresh

Re: Sourdough Starter & bread

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:22 am

I agree ... It is a ferment ... of sorts. Especially since you need to tend it.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:57 am

Patience and Brian are big into fermenting foods, IIRC they also bake sourdough bread. They may have some helpful advice for getting the starter going to achieve that flavor you are looking to get in your bread.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:38 am

Well, I didn't get around to baking on that day, in fact not for a couple of days and again I forgot to feed it as often as I should have, so when I was ready to bake some, I took a whiff like I always do with most anything especially food (I'm kinda weird like that, it has to pass the smell test before I'll eat it)
Strangely, the starter smelled like acetone (fingernail polish remover) and I thought I messed it up bad & would have to throw it out. Before tossing it I did a search & found out that smell was from not feeding it enough and letting the amount of bacteria overtake the yeasts and if I'd had the time, I could have worked it out by letting it set a few more days and adding more flour & water daily to bring up the yeast content that would drop the bacteria levels. So now I know for next time how to prevent that happening.

But I needed/wanted a loaf of sourdough anyway...….so I added salt & enough flour to make a good dough & left it to rise and eventually baked it. The results???? It didn't rise enough....because there wasn't enough yeast vs the amount of bacteria BUT the smell was more like a mild bread smell....no acetone but no yeastiness either, and the same for taste. kinda blah & heavy.

So I washed out my jar and started over & this time just added flour, water, & sugar to start with, then feeding flour & water. And this time I'm not in too big of a hurry for it to be ready and why I didn't add the yeast to jump start it.....we'll see what happens in a few more days & let's hope I remember to feed the beast.

patriceinil wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:57 am
Patience and Brian are big into fermenting foods, IIRC they also bake sourdough bread. They may have some helpful advice for getting the starter going to achieve that flavor you are looking to get in your bread.

I do like a good sour sourdough and I realize that takes time to achieve. This now has become an experiment project, just to see & report my findings or failures.
That quick start starter & bread made from it, wasn't too bad at all. It wasn't as sour as I would have liked, but you could tell it was sourdough. And now I'm working on a real sourdough without the added yeast.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:48 am

You probably could have added some instant/rapid rise yeast to your sour dough bread mixture to get it to rise more and give you a better end product while still giving you the flavor from the starter.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:54 am

Keep us informed on the experiment. I did sour dough once a long time ago. Since being pronounced Celiac I only dream of such things. I always wanted to try a wild yeast sour dough to see how it would turn out.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:40 am

Update on the new starter...…..

Well, it looks a little bubbly & thick with a consistency like Elmer's Glue and smells as if it's just starting to sour. I'm guessing it would take a few more days of feeding & fermenting before it would be sour enough for a good tangy bread. And I'm not so sure if I'm going to be able to keep it going that long without having to dump some out since my half gallon jar is more than half full already. I'm not sure how that's happened, since I've only been feeding it once a day and maybe a half cup of flour & half cup of water at a time. |em22|

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:37 am

Start using some of it for pancakes and rolls or biscuits like you’d use the Amish friendship starter.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:47 am

Good idea Patrice!

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:59 pm

I had posted that update at 11:40pm Pacific time, right after I had checked it & before going to bed. This morning around 5am as I'm stumbling to the kitchen for morning coffee, I look up at the jar of starter and it's now 3/4's full.....thankfully I didn't have a fire overnight & the house was cold or I'd have starter all over my kitchen :eek:

I took it down from the fridge, peeled back the cloth cover for inspections.......looked really bubbly and smelled borderline sour-yeasty and acetone-y, so I added 1/4 C each AP flour & warm water, stirred it down (just over half a jar), covered it & back on the fridge. Couple hours later I look at it and it's now at the shoulders of the jar so I looked & smelled it.....definite sour yeasties and only faint acetone. So plans for supper have since been modified to be more compatible with sourdough bread .

This time I have pics & will post them later, if my phone cooperates

Return to “Ferments”