How to Properly Cook Rice

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Farmfresh

How to Properly Cook Rice

Unread post by Farmfresh »

And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Old Fashioned

Re: How to Properly Cook Rice

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

That's right for long grain rice, but Calrose doesn't take as much water. Though I didn't know about the fat in broth, preventing boil over. Also at which point of the boil to put the lid on & turn down the heat. Interesting.

Usually I just bring it to a boil, then put the lid on & shut it off. And I start my rice first thing.......so it's done by the time I get everything else cooked. And as long as I leave it alone on the stove, it's still warm if it takes longer to cook the other food.

I always make more rice than we need at one time..........either for another meal, or to feed the chickens and/or dogs.

I've tried to tell others that cooking regular rice is just as easy as Minute rice, it just takes longer. |em22|

HybridHomesteader

Re: How to Properly Cook Rice

Unread post by HybridHomesteader »

I do 2 to 1. Bring to a boil then turn to low. Simmer 20 min. Perfect every time. Though...I did notice the rice from my food storage I just finished up needed an extra splash of water. It was from 2011. |em26|
Gina, Hybrid Homesteader, It'sMeG, TanksHill.... Mom, Wife, trouble maker extraordinaire.