What do you do with zucchini????

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Old Fashioned

What do you do with zucchini????

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

I don't think I've ever made a stuffed one. Those big bat sized usually ended up getting shredded for the dehydrator, fritters, or into the freezer for breads/cakes or sliced & fried in a batter or coating similar to fried green tomatoes, added to stir fries or sliced, seasoned and either dried or baked for chips for snacking. But as my plants are pumping them out almost daily, I am running out of ideas to use them. Especially the monster sized that are supposed to be good for stuffing. I just wish zucchini would last longer like winter squash does, as that would offer a few more options, like baking.

So how do you prepare those babies and please include recipes cause inquiring minds want to know... |em14|

Farmfresh

Re: What do you do with zucchini????

Unread post by Farmfresh »

First of all... The more mature zucchini... aka baseball bats will store on the shelf MUCH longer than the small tender ones. Just give them a chance to harden up a bit and store them on a cool shelf with plenty of air circulation all around.

I will take a "big one" and peel and seed them then cube them up small. I blanch them and use them just like normal zucchini... including freezing them. They may not be as tender as the small ones, but they are still tasty. I use those cubes in casseroles, soups and lots of recipes where I want mixed veggies.

I would give you a recipe for my Zucchini Boats ... if I used one.

Basically I cut them in half and scoop out the seeds. If they are too big I sometimes cut them in half length wise as well. Then I mix up a sausage stuffing with mushrooms, garlic, onions GF cracker or GF bread crumbs and an egg. A lot like making a meat loaf and to your taste. Stuff the zucchini and I usually cover the top with the meat too.

If I am baking it I spray the pan and add a bit of olive oil to the top. Then I bake it until the sausage is done. Top it with shredded cheese and back into the oven till brown. Then I serve with warmed marinara or salsa... depending on my mood.

If I do them in the crockpot... I do the same way, but I put the marina in the bottom of the pot. Then lay in the zucchini and top with cheese at the end. The crockpot ones are softer and not browned up, but still very yummy.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch »

I nuc my big bat zucs. But put a 1" knife cut in it to let out the steam. When kinda soft, let sit on countertop for a bit. Then cut in half lengthwise. HOT!! Scoop out seeds.

Fill with any concoction you want. Precooked concoction for me. Last time, I used some hamburger and lentils and bread crumbs and then topped with cheese. We had the other 1/4th of it last nite.

I cook mine in my toaster oven, not the big oven so as to not heat up the house.
Found water and ------better weather, yeah, maybe not.....

Old Fashioned

Thanks gals. Great ideas.

I did think of one possibility for a different stuffing..........chicken alfredo sauce. Just make up the alfredo as normal but instead of serving over pasta, pour it into the center of the zuke boat and bake till the zuke is soft and cooked thru, maybe top with more cheeses. Basically using the zucchini as the vehicle instead of pasta. I don't have a toaster oven and didn't think of it in time to use the crockpot, so it ended up with traditional pasta but a great idea for future use if the plants will continue to bare until cooler temps prevail.

Farmfresh

They also make Zoodles out of big zucchini. Spiral sliced veggie noodles. I've never tried it though.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Old Fashioned

Neither have I as I don't have a zoodle cutter, maybe I should get one to do some up for the freezer. |em22|

Rhodie Ranch

Mother gave me a zoodle thingie. I never got it to work, plus when the gift was given, she said maybe this will help you lose weight.

Farmfresh

Wow. Thanks mom. Why do they have to say things like that? When I wanted to get married to hubby my DEAR mom said... "Great idea! He will be perfect to marry until something better comes along."

Honestly I think sometimes I might still be married to him just to spite her.

Rhodie Ranch

I snorted out LOUD!!

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

|em25| This is for both of you FF & RR