Gluten Free Graham Crackers

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
patriceinil

Gluten Free Graham Crackers

Unread post by patriceinil »

GLUTEN-FREE GRAHAM CRACKERS
COURSE: DESSERT, SNACK CUISINE: AMERICAN KEYWORD: CRACKERS, GRAHAM CRACKERS PREP TIME: 20 MINUTES COOK TIME: 18 MINUTES CHILLING TIME: 15 MINUTES TOTAL TIME: 53 MINUTES SERVINGS: 30 AUTHOR: ALINA EISENHAUER
Print
INGREDIENTS
260 grams 1:1gluten-free flour blend
112 grams light brown sugar
7 grams ground flax or golden flax meal (1 tbsp + 1 tsp)
1½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
56 grams unsalted butter, thinly sliced
98 grams cold water
15 grams honey (1 tbsp)
INSTRUCTIONS
In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, sugar, flax, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
Add the butter and, using a pastry cutter or your finger tips, work the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse meal. Pieces should be the size of peas or smaller.
Mix the water and honey together.
Add the honey/water mix to the batter, and stir with a fork until well combined.
Press and knead until there are no dry bits, and you have a cohesive dough. The dough should be smooth enough to roll out and be slightly tacky but not sticky. Place dough on plastic wrap. Form into a square, wrap tightly and freeze for 15 minutes (or refrigerate for 30 minutes to 24 hours).
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove dough from freezer. Lightly dust your work surface and your dough with flour, and roll out to a square that is roughly 16x16-inches square and ⅛-¼-inch thickness.* Dust your work surface as needed to keep the dough from sticking as you roll.
Trim the edges so that they are straight and you have a 15x15-inch square. Cut the dough into three-inch square pieces. Place on parchment-lined baking sheets, and pierce dough with a fork in lines.
Bake for 18-20 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. When done, the crackers will be light golden brown. They will still have a little bit of give when touched, but they will harden up as soon as they cool. Remove to a parchment-lined cooling rack and cool for five minutes.
Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
RECIPE NOTES
*The crackers will puff a bit when they bake, so roll them out about half of the thickness you want for your final crackers.

Farmfresh

Re: Gluten Free Graham Crackers

Unread post by Farmfresh »

I will have to try these someday. I like to put cinnamon and sugar on my graham crackers.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

patriceinil

Re: Gluten Free Graham Crackers

Unread post by patriceinil »

I was excited to see this because I like to make that pan eclair dessert that uses graham crackers so I can bake them to fit the pan in a single layer sized piece.