Quail Recipe Collection - or Chicken Wings ?

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Farmfresh

Quail Recipe Collection - or Chicken Wings ?

Unread post by Farmfresh »

I have been hunting up some quail recipes for my collection... since we now have a supply again... and I have come across some good ones to share. While I know that most of you don't have access to quail meat, most of these recipes look like they would easily adapt to be used for chicken wings or even chicken nuggets.

When I clean my quail I typically skin them remove wings and feet and spatchcock them or cut them in half with a breast half and a double leg, thigh back section. They are fast to clean this way and how I was taught as a kid. But since I am going to be doing this regularly for a while I may try other things too.

If you PURCHASE quail they come usually frozen and also in several forms, from what I am able to find. They currently tend to cost about $4.50 per 5-6 oz bird and it takes two per person usually, so NOT a cheap meat. (Good to know when attributing VALUE to what you raise however.) Walmart even carries frozen quail, but they are more expensive than other sources. Here are a few links I have found so far for buying quail meat.

https://brokenarrowranch.com https://texquail.com/store/pack-of-4-whole-quail https://gandbranch.com/products/frozen- ... il-50-pack

Here is a bit of a description of what I have found that you can buy. (Pictures from Broken Arrow Ranch.)

Whole quail - are just what you think they are... tiny naked chickens complete with skin.

Whole split or spatchcocked -

Semi- boneless - wing and leg bones still present, but middle removed - kind of weird to me.

They also sell boneless skin on Breasts and Legs which are leg quarters and a weird thing they call

Quail Knots - "Half a semi-boneless quail with wing removed and drumstick pulled through boneless breast, skin on, boneless except for drum stick."

Different recipes call for different forms, but I am sure that the basic recipe will work no matter how your quail was portioned out.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Farmfresh

Re: Quail Recipe Collection - or Chicken Wings ?

And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Farmfresh

Farmfresh

Farmfresh

Farmfresh

Farmfresh

Farmfresh