Cow info

Farmfresh

Re: Cow info

Unread post by Farmfresh » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:07 am

That 1 cow per acre rule only holds true on good pasture. I am sure folks on the range land in Texas require a LOT more room than that to feed each cow. They call the amount of animals on any given field the "stocking rate" of that field. Stocking rates are measured in "cow units". For example that Dexter might be "half a cow unit". Sheep are a quarter to a third cow units depending on the breed of sheep and size.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

bittersweetbranch

Unread post by bittersweetbranch » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:43 pm

You know, my husband and I just had that conversation a few days age. He thought smaller animals would eat less grass. I wondered.......after all, no matter the size they all continually graze without stopping. If you're eating at the same pace, aren't you still eating the same amount? HMMMM.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:40 pm

Not according to the folks that study that stuff. Smaller animals evidently take less calories to raise. So a Dexter is going to eat a lot less than a Holstein or a Hereford.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

bittersweetbranch

Unread post by bittersweetbranch » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:58 am

Look what I found yesterday!!!! I'm so excited. We've been on our farm for 12 years now. I made a deal with myself. A friend of mine sold me 2 bred heifers 10 years ago. I promised myself (since hubby doesn't like the animals or the money they cost) that I wouldn't buy anymore. If God wanted me to expand, He would give me heifers. If He thought I needed the money for expenses, He would give me little bull calves. I wouldn't buy anymore cows. In our 12 years, the boys have outnumbered the girls, 14 to 4. We're not growing very fast. Then, 3 years ago, a turn for the worse. The 4 heifers I did have, only came in the last 5 years. The first 6 years were all bulls. So a friend of mine needed a place to store a bull. They manage over 400 cattle and have like 5 bulls. I said that would be great! I could breed my cows. She ended up leaving him here for 6 years. I think secretly she just wanted to help me out. At year 6 I had 2 heifers out of him so he needed to go. We needed a different bull so that we could breed all 4. The oldest heifer did get pregnant. She could not deliver and the vet had to put her down as even he could not help her. The second was with the bull a year and a half and never became pregnant, so she had to go to market. 2 years ago, I had 2 more heifers. At 9 months old I found one with her face in the pond. Never knew what or why. The other is with the bull now. This past winter we had really bad ice and one of my original heifers slipped on the pond dam. Her back legs splayed out from under her. Don't know if they broke, or dislocated, but she never walked again and lasted only 2 days. So a really bad run of luck with all of my females. I've never had one bad incident with the males. This fall we are expecting 3 calves. I'm hoping for heifers so I can build my herd. Came home yesterday afternoon after meeting FF to pick up the turkeys and noticed one of the cows off by herself. Went to check and woohoo!! A little heifer. 1 down, 2 to go.

bittersweetbranch

Unread post by bittersweetbranch » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:02 am

Here's the little cutie!
Attachments
20190822_084744 (1).jpg
20190822_084744 (1).jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 61 times

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:02 am

Nothing cuter than a baby cow! Congratulations!

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:09 am

so much tragedy!

But there is nothing like a new birth to help erase old sadness.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:48 pm

bittersweetbranch wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:02 am
Here's the little cutie!

BABIES!!! |em27| What breed are you raising??? Hopefully the Good Lord will allow you to expand now that He's blessed you with a heifer.

bittersweetbranch

Unread post by bittersweetbranch » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:49 pm

They are a mixed herd. I started out the first few years with pure Shorthorns. When I had to replace the bull, my nephew had a black angus he wanted to sell, so I bought it. The mama in the picture is a red angus/shorthorn cross that we raised as a bottle baby. I also have a heifer that is a shorthorn/charolais cross from 1 year that I rented my neighbors bull.

Return to “Livestock”