Turkeys

Rhodie Ranch

Re: Turkeys

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:39 am

The wild turkey's here are more vocal right now. I love hearing their trilling. But our males are no where to be found. Its just packs of youngsters and females. Males are elusive.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:45 am

LOL... Neither does hubby. Shhhh. Actually I have 11 right now!

Six are this years crop including three males. One male will be Christmas dinner and another will be either eaten this spring or sold depending on if I have a buyer. The final male will be my new flock boss.

Five of the turkeys are older hens (2018). I will keep them until next fall. At that point they will be either eaten or sold and a new crop of young hens will take their place.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:47 am

Three things.

Years ago (and I don't know it they still do it) CBS on Sunday morning would end their show with 5 minutes of sounds and sights. This turkey vid with sounds and sights would be perfect!

Turkeys look around alot. Not my chickens.

Turkeys didn't seem to scratch. Its all my chicks do if they get out!

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:01 am

If you send me to CBS my husband will get wise as to how many turkeys we actually have. |em14|

He would be much more likely to notice them on TV than to look out our back door! |em12|

Turkeys do scratch, but not with the determination of most chickens. They will stride along for the most part looking and grabbing up bugs and insects. They also eat quite a lot of weed seed that they strip off the plants and grass seeds as well and they eat berries and other items off of small brush and shrubs. We have quite a lot of black walnut trees growing in and around our pasture fence line. We in this house either don't like them or are allergic to them, so they tend to lay where they fall. I noticed the other day that the green fruity husks around the HARD shell are rotting away and as they do they are full of worms and grubs. The turkeys are having a hay day with those.

Turkeys are VERY aware of their surroundings and very cautious. Much much more than chickens. AND they work as a pack. If one turkey sees something they call and all gather around. Evidently they kill snakes by gathering around and on the signal everyone runs in and grabs a hunk of snake and then they - together - rip him apart.

In the video you see them up there running the back fence and the tom displaying. They are threatening and showing off for the chickens and the goose in the backyard. (Flipper especially) There are chickens in the pasture with them too. They will chase them a bit, just to keep them away from their flock, but they don't seem to actually hurt them. Not very kind considering their mother (of all of them on different years) was a chicken.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:31 pm

Did I ever mention just WHY I ended up butchering all my turkeys......other than being a pain in the butt considering where I live?

One night the neighbors had company and entertaining in their backyard, which abuts our backyard & a fence between us......every time someone would laugh or talk a little louder...…..my turkeys, who just discovered their voices, would 'GOBBLE, GOBBLE, GOBBLE'. When it was quiet next door, it was quiet here.....any noise above a whisper and GOBBLE, GOBBLE, GOBBLE.

Yes I understand the voice of threat & danger, and it really was kinda funny......but I can't have that going on every time they hear something. :shock:

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:24 pm

Return to “Poultry”