Venison sausage

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
HNA

Venison sausage

Unread post by HNA »

What do you do with it? We keep getting gifts of venison sausage, and even fresh pork sausage.
The seasonings are different...but not labeled.
I have no clue on how to prepare these for meals.
I combined some once, with grass fed beef, in chili... it tasted weird.
DH tells me that his friend brought him a sample yesterday. He said it was on the warm side, for spicy.
The pork sausage, from other friends, was too heavy on the hot spices.

So, we are thawing out the pack of venison sausage to cook up for an early afternoon Saturday meal today.
Fried potatoes?

I am very unfamiliar with how to use these two meats in meals..which meals....etc.

Farmfresh

Re: Venison sausage

Unread post by Farmfresh »

Cram them into a meatloaf along with a similar amount of beef and it should be tasty.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch »

I made spaghetti sauce the other day and instead of using hamburger, I opened up some casings of sausages and cooked them up. I mixed some hot sausage with some italian sausage. It was good!
Found water and ------better weather, yeah, maybe not.....

HNA

Unread post by HNA »

I asked DH how he wanted me to cook up the sausage. He just wants them pan fried, with side of fried potatoes and some green beans.
I even mentioned about mixing it up in meatloaf, but he vetoed it.

calendula

Unread post by calendula »

We usually eat it with breakfast as patties. Otherwise, crumbled and cooked with diced potatoes and eggs as a breakfast scramble, which is also good wrapped in a tortilla for breakfast burritos.

HNA

Unread post by HNA »

That batch was really pretty good! It is the seasonings that throw me off when trying to use it in already established recipes.

DH called at lunch, and said the same guy now has wild boar sausage to purchase. I don't think I have ever had it before. He says the guy will be bringing in a sample to work for him tomorrow. Then he'll decide if we want 30# or so. We didn't get any Ohio beef this year, and barely any venison. So this will help re-fill the freezer.