Cabbages--Oversized Brussels Sprouts

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Old Fashioned

Re: Cabbages--Oversized Brussels Sprouts

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

HybridHomesteader wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:33 am I have 3 bowling ball size heads of cabbage in my garden.. I’m committed to cabbage rolls for 1. Maybe I’ll try these with another.

G

What kind of cabbage rolls do you make???

Hubs and his family liked the kind with burger, cabbage and onion baked in the center of bread dough. I think the official version of that is called something else (maybe pasties??) and from the midwest, but they always called them cabbage rolls.

When I was a kid, Ma tried to make a Polish version for a family friend. I think it was made with burger and other stuff all rolled into cabbage leaves and some kind of tomato sauce over it all. |em22|

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch »

The one your Ma made are what I grew up with. Loved them, but haven't made them in a very long time.
Found water and ------better weather, yeah, maybe not.....

HybridHomesteader

Unread post by HybridHomesteader »

Yes, it’s cabbage leaves with meat, rice mixture rolled up inside. Then smothered in a tomato sauce and baked. The rice is raw so they need to be saucy and bake for like 2 hours. The kicker is when I was growing up my mom made sweet & sour cabbage rolls. It took me forever to find a similar recipe. There is brown sugar and vinegar added to the tomato sauce. Makes it not so tomato-y. I started making it a couple years ago. My family loves it. Well most of them.

G
Gina, Hybrid Homesteader, It'sMeG, TanksHill.... Mom, Wife, trouble maker extraordinaire.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

My family recipe for Golabki, aka cabbage rolls, uses cold cooked white rice mixed with raw ground beef and pork (1/2 lb of each) along with a finely diced onion. The meats, onion and seasonings (make it as spicy or not as you like) are mixed together and then stuffed into the blanched/boiled cabbage leaves to create the cabbage rolls. I typically add garlic or garlic powder, seasoned salt and black pepper along with a bit of paprika to my filling. I also add a bit of the same seasonings to the tomato sauce or soup to give it some flavor but traditionally it was left unseasoned and poured over the cabbage rolls.

Extra leaves of cabbage are placed in the bottom of the baking dish to prevent the rolls from sticking to the dish. Then the cabbage rolls are placed into the dish giving them a little space but not too much of they may come apart as the cabbage rolls bake.

A mixture of tomato sauce or tomato soup and water is poured over the cabbage rolls. Then any extra cabbage leaves are placed over the top before a lid or aluminum foil goes on to help steam the cabbage rolls.

They are a laborious process so I make unstuffed cabbage rolls now.

Basically chop the cabbage into bite sized pieces and set it aside. Start by browning the meats, onion and seasonings. Cook until the meat is no longer pink, then add in a cup of raw rice, stir well and cook a minute or two longer. Then mix in the cabbage pieces, stir well. Mix the tomato sauce or soup with 2 1/2 to 3 cups of water and pour it over everything in the pot. The extra water will help the rice to cook.

Cover the pot and cook on low for about 30-45 minutes depending on how soft you like the cabbage. Stir it a few times during the cooking time just to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom of the pot.