Cabbages--Oversized Brussels Sprouts

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
calendula

Cabbages--Oversized Brussels Sprouts

Unread post by calendula »

In line with the thread started on Brussels Sprouts recipes, I am calling for cabbage recipes. I haven't been a big cabbage eater for the past decade or so, because when I was pregnant with my first child, I had eaten a big plate of corned beef and cabbage, and then promptly threw it up. Morning sickness ruined a lot of good foods for me for a long time. But, I think I'm over it now. :grin:

I have a huge head of cabbage from my inlaws' garden now. What to do with it?

Rhodie Ranch

Re: Cabbages--Oversized Brussels Sprouts

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch »

I love doing what Denise did - shred and saute in bacon fat! Like your brussel sprouts! Sometimes I add fresh cooked corn off the cob and a lot of chopped onions.
Found water and ------better weather, yeah, maybe not.....

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

BBQ Grill Cabbage Packs

My favorite way to eat cabbage is to cut the cabbage into large wedges removing the core. Sometimes with a smaller cabbage I just 1/4 it. Then wrap each big wedge with aluminum foil. To each foil pouch I add a big knob of butter and some salt and pepper. Then you cook the cabbage in it's juice over the grill. It finishes about the same time as the meat usually.

When you open the package the cabbage is buttery, smoky and still has a nice bite to it. Delicious!
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Farmfresh

The Cabbage Soup Diet is a fad diet that was around for a while back in the old days. I don't know if the soup will really make you lose weight, but it sure tastes good!

Cabbage Soup

* olive oil
* 5 carrots, chopped
* 3 onions, chopped
* 2 big cans whole peeled tomatoes liquid and all (or I sometimes use fresh tomatoes)
* 1 large head cabbage, chopped (you can substitute bok choy, kale or chard if you wanted to but cabbage tastes best)
* 1 envelope dry onion soup mix (this is not GF so I usually make up my own spice blend heavy on the garlic and onion)
* green beans
* 2 quarts tomato juice
* 2 green bell peppers, diced
* 10 stalks celery, chopped sounds (like a lot, but it works)
* Top up the pot with water, veggie broth, chicken broth or beef broth

Options ...

You can also add ANY other root veggie (except for potatoes if you are eating this as a weight loss soup) Beets, rutabagas, turnips, parsnips each add their special touch to the soup.

------

Basically just cook lightly saute the onions in the olive oil. Add the rest of the veggies and broth and let it simmer until the veggies are done.

The diet stipulates that you can eat fruit, yogurt, a baked potato or brown rice and a lean protein if you want to, but you are supposed to eat at least one bowl full of the soup first. At each meal. The soup is supposed to take more calories to digest than it provides. Probably the best diet aspect is that you are so full of yummy soup that you tend to eat very little else and all of the good veggies never did anyone any harm.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

Stir fry....just slice/shred some & mix in with whatever other veggies/meat.

Cabbage Bread.....make a batch of bread dough & while it's raising, brown some burger & add in some chopped cabbage, onion, salt & pepper and cook till soft, then let cool a bit. Knead down your dough to get the air & bubbles out. Pinch off a piece and roll out flat, put a scoop of meat mixture in the center then fold up & pinch the edges. Let raise again, then bake.
Size amounts just depends on how big or small you want to make them. I'd make larger ones for hubs & myself and smaller ones for the boys when they were young and the ratio of meat mix vs bread dough is also personal preference. Hubs likes more mix, less bread and I like some of both.

Hubs has also been asking me to make some Cabbage Rolls. I've never done it myself, but the kind I remember was some kind of burger stuffing wrapped with a cabbage leaf and covered with some kind of tomato sauce and baked. I don't know what all went into it though. |em22|

Ma used to steam/fry cabbage cut into whatever sized pieces with some onion and possibly bacon fat, then pour in a little water & cover.

***note to self---gotta try big & little cabbage with bacon |em24| ***

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

I make unstuffed cabbage rolls by chopping everything up in bite sized pieces and cooking it in a pot instead of baking it like you would cabbage rolls.

I also do a sauteed cabbage, sausage and dumplings. Cook chopped cabbage and onion in a bit of butter and oil. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. As the cabbage cooks, slice smoked polish sausage into rings and add them to the cabbage/onions. Don't add the sausage until the cabbage is almost tender so that the sausage doesn't dry out.

While the cabbage and sausage cook bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook some potato gnocchi. When they are done add them to the pot of cabbage and sausage. Serve with some nice crusty bread.

This dish is actually better the next day IF you have any lwftover.

patriceinil

OF cabbage rolls are filled with ground beef or ground beef/ground pork, chopped onion and cooked rice. You can add a bit of tomato sauce to the mix before placing in the boiled cabbage leaves.

I make it easier by just chopping up the cabbage and onion. Brown 1 lb of meat and onion in a large pot. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and a bit of crushed red pepper flakes.

Add 1 cup raw rice to the pot and stir to coat the rice with the oil in the pot. Add the cabbage and stir well. Add a can of condensed tomato soup, a small can of tomato sauce and 2 cups of water. Stir well, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until the cabbage is tender and the rice is cooked. Stir several times to make sure the rice isn't sticking to the pot.

If it starts to dry out while cooking add a bit more water.

This is my lazy version of cabbage rolls.
Last edited by patriceinil on Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Farmfresh

Oh ... I need to get my D2's recipe for Kielbasa Soup to share. It is amazing.

patriceinil

Don't forget about bubble and squeak!

Chopped cabbage and onion sauteed together then add cooked egg noddles. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.

Farmfresh

Alia's Kielbasa Soup

* 2 polish Kielbasa sausages cut into rounds
* 1 large onion (she likes the purple ones)
* 1 small cabbage - large dice
* 1 pound carrots - diced
* 4 or 5 potatoes - red preferred diced
* garlic - lots
* plenty of black pepper and some salt
* chicken broth

-----

Cut up all the ingredients into a big pot. You can brown the sausages and saute the onions and carrots a bit, then add the rest of the ingredients. Top the pot up with the chicken broth and simmer on low until the carrots and potatoes are done.

YUM.