Linen - Making Linen Fabric Seed to Spinning Wheel

Spinning, Weaving and Felting
HybridHomesteader

Re: Linen - Making Linen Fabric Seed to Spinning Wheel

Unread post by HybridHomesteader » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:11 pm

Looks like there are actually two separate spinning wheels. This is what was in the box. I thought supplies.
Nope.

https://www.google.com/search?q=charkha ... zoXa8JeKcM:

I know a lady coming in to visit early July. She weaves and spins. She will be at my sil for 2 weeks. I’ve asked for a couple hours of her time.

G
Gina, Hybrid Homesteader, It'sMeG, TanksHill.... Mom, Wife, trouble maker extraordinaire.

WhiteWolf

Unread post by WhiteWolf » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:07 pm

Reviving this thread. I've got a lifelong interest in weaving, have been doing needlework and sewing since 6... and the D has been teaching herself and making some amazing things since 16 or 17, without me hovering and "teaching" her. I still get asked to consult often. LOL.

I had a chance to buy a loom just before I moved, but I didn't follow up on that. (Already had more than sane people had to move.) But Hol is already talking about raising some kind of animals to spin and weave. She's hand-knitted from roving wool, that she felted, over the winter. I think she made about 10 bed sized blankets. Takes her about 2-3 hrs to knit each one, the felting take a LOT longer by hand. But she's scared to try the washer method. LOL.

So, what are y'all doing now or planning to do this winter?

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:31 pm

I don't have plans that far ahead. Heck... I barely know what I am doing tomorrow! :lol:

But... If your daughter wants to felt... I have a big bag of Katahdin wool that I would gladly send her. Katahdin wool is good for felting, but not long enough of a staple to draw into a yarn for knitting.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

WhiteWolf

Unread post by WhiteWolf » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:49 pm

I'll ask her FF. Things are a bit topsy-turvy around here lately and I'm pretty sure it'll be fall before she settles into what she's going to work with.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:10 pm

Well... they shed every year! LOL
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

WhiteWolf

Unread post by WhiteWolf » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:55 am

It might be awhile LOL. Right now I owe it to the license I passed & a bunch of supportive hams, to get an antenna and start talking over the airwaves... LOTS of thing got in front of that the past few years.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:43 pm

Our neighbor here (an old man who died a few years back) was a hammer. I was friends with his daughter and we used to sit around and listen to him talk to folks around the world. Later when his kids got bigger most of them had a ham license as well. It would be a useful thing to have if the nation ever had a major crisis.

Why not start a thread in the prep thread on the subject. I for one would be interested in following your journey.

bittersweetbranch

Unread post by bittersweetbranch » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:55 pm

I'm learning! Self teaching with you tube videos. I have an antique walking wheel. I've had a couple of attempts but I think if I really want to get serious about it (which I do) I'm going to have to purchase a newer, modern wheel. One you can sit down at. lol. I last fall purchased a few ewe lambs specifically because I wanted to grow my own wool and harvest it for spinning. I'd never had sheep before. Most everyone in my area is going to hair sheep and wool sheep are getting harder to find. I did find someone finally. I also have an interest in Livestock Conservation so it was important for me to find a breed on the endangered list. I ended up with Cotswolds. We just had our first shearing in early May. I'm so excited to get started. Unfortunately, we've had sooo much rain here I haven't had a good day to wash it yet. Want to do it outside and dry it on screens in the sun. That's as far as I've gotten. I'll post updates and pics as I progress. For now, I just have pics of my girls before their shearing. They have about 10-12 inch locks. I think I'm going to try lock spinning. I also have 2 California Reds. They have a straight 4-6 inch lock and I will work it up seperately.
Attachments
20180808_185347.jpg
20180808_185347.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 7 times
20180808_190610.jpg
20180808_190610.jpg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 7 times

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:22 am

Super cool! Please start up a couple of new threads... one on wool sheep and another for the spinning and fiber stuff. That way it will be easy to find later when we need it for reference.

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:29 am

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!that last picture! Thats from a sheep? I had no idea.

Return to “Fiber Arts”