Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)

calendula

Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)

Unread post by calendula » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:23 pm

I have been growing a rosemary plant in a pot for a couple years now, and I have been bringing it in the house before first frost to overwinter in my living room window. About a week ago, I noticed that it was getting little white flowers all over it. |em27| |em21| I have grown rosemary several times, but have never managed to keep it alive this long, so I was surprised to see the flowers--I had no idea that this plant flowered. |em28|

Anyway, I really love rosemary. When I sit on the couch by the window it sits in, its fragrance surrounds me--a sort of evergreen smell, with a bit of an almost camphor like fragrance mixed in. I love the way its smell makes me feel (I know that sounds weird), and I use it all the time for medicinal and beauty purposes, as well as in cooking.

|em1| Some fun facts about rosemary:

-Its botanical name (rosmarinus) means "dew of the sea" because it is native to coastal areas and its delicate flowers resemble dew.

-Studies have found the scent of rosemary to be an effective memory stimulant and to improve cognitive performance.

-Sixteenth century Europeans carried it in the heads of walking sticks to ward off the plague.

-Rosemary contains antioxidants and has been found to boost immunity, so add lots to your food during flu season, and even make tea with it. It is also good for bacterial infections and upset stomach.

-Rosemary tea is useful as a hair rinse, and is said to make hair shiny and soft.

-Rosemary is also good for the skin, and has been shown to improve the healing of wounds when applied topically (as essential oil).

-Rosemary contains a litany of vitamins and minerals, including Vitamin A, Vitamin C, manganese, and an abundance of B vitamins.

-Cats don't like rosemary (this is just my personal experience :grin: ).

It's easy to grow, wont take up a lot of space, and can be propagated by either seeds or cuttings from an established plant. For growing info, here are a couple articles you can check out:

New Rosemary Plants for Free (I follow this blog regularly, some of you may like her other posts)

Planting Rosemary Seeds (Rosemary seeds are supposed to need stratification, but I have never done this, and mine still sprouted. |em22| )

Make a rosemary topiary (I'd like to make a topiary to use as a little Christmas tree)

Any other uses you can think of? Recipes to share?
Last edited by calendula on Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rhodie Ranch

Re: Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:48 pm

Bee LOVE rosemary flowers!

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:26 pm

Lamb meat does too. So does rabbit. It is one of my favorite herbs!
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:33 pm

I use dried rosemary quite often in my cooking. I’ve tried to grow it from seed and haven’t had much luck. I need to get a plant when the nurseries start selling the garden starts this year.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:29 am

What is the trick for over wintering it Cal? I have trouble there. I have one in my kitchen as we speak ... clinging to the last shred of life.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:55 am

It needs a grow light for sure FF. Try an old school type screw in bulb in a swing arm desk lamp.

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:53 am

So my Debbie Downer comment is that Rosemary was the name of the gal that my first husband left me for. A married woman with 5 kids, and my DD was 6 mo old. He came and went five times, always back to Rosemary. (they are still together, 30 years later, but he's been one miserable fella ever since - poor guy)

When I recovered and bought my first house by myself two years later, there was a Rosemary plant in the front yard. I didn't water that plant for several years, but it stayed alive. I hated it. It finally died along with my anger. Moved a few times and Rosemary has always been a part of someone else's yard and I LOVE it now. The deer won't eat it; the bees thrive on it. I'm thinking of planting some here in So. Oregon.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:07 am

|em25| Murphysranch

calendula

Unread post by calendula » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:32 pm

One thing I have learned is to water indoor rosemary very little. It prefers to be pretty dry. Other than that, I just have it in a south facing window so that it gets at least 6 hours of good sun a day.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:30 pm

Misery or not ... at least he stayed with his Rosemary. I would rather be left for someone he really thinks he loves than just a passing fling. That way I could release the whole sad affair as to it wasn't my fault - we just weren't the right match for him. And if I really cared for him, at least I would think that he was happier in some way. (even if it was not true in the long run) Being cheated on or left if it was a fling would permanently make me pissed.

Maybe I am watering my rosemary plant too much. It always seems dry, so I water it.

I wish the plant would survive here outside, but they freeze in our area.

Return to “Herbs”