The Laundry Room

HNA

The Laundry Room

Unread post by HNA » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:46 pm

I was looking. Didn't find anything on laundry...you know....washing, detergents, how often, hang dry on the line....stain removal...all of the fun stuff. What say you FF? |em18|

Farmfresh

Re: The Laundry Room

Unread post by Farmfresh » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:02 pm

I think you just started the thread for it. I will move it into The Home Place Section and get the ball rolling.

Great Job!
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

HNA

Unread post by HNA » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:19 pm

|em23| Thanks FF |em15|

calendula

Unread post by calendula » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:22 pm

Ah, yes, laundry. My mortal enemy.

I used to make my own laundry detergent, but have since stopped. It clogged up our new HE washing machine and made a terrible mess. Upon further research, I found that I was not alone in my woes, and also found that most washing machines do not work well with homemade detergent. It will not get clothes properly cleaned.

In the past year or so that we made the switch, I have tried pretty much every detergent known to man. I do not like to use heavily scented ones, because they make me sneeze, and give my daughter skin rashes. But I didn't like the way the unscented ones made the clothes smell--sort of mildewy. So far, my favorite detergent is the Grab Green Detergent Pods, scented with lavender essential oil. If you buy in bulk on Amazon, they end up costing about 25 cents per load.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:14 pm

I am surprised to hear your troubles with homemade laundry soaps. I have used the homemade dry soap mix for years and years and never had a lick of trouble. What did the homemade do to your machine? How was it different than the commercial to make the HE clog?
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:23 pm

With my skin issues I like to use Purex or Arm & Hammer. Both come in dye and scent free version that are HE machine safe.

calendula

Unread post by calendula » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:28 pm

This article sums it up pretty well:

http://butterbeliever.com/homemade-laun ... -soap-diy/

But basically, the homemade stuff is actually soap, not a detergent, and the newer washers are not built to be used with them. The soap builds up over time, as it did in mine, and clogs the machine up. Luckily, my washer wasn't damaged.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:56 pm

Hmmm. Call me still skeptical.

As I understand it the difference between a "soap" and a "detergent" is that a soap is made with natural fat or oil and a detergent is made with a petroleum base. Things are not allowed to be labeled as "soap" if they are petroleum based. Her Thieves Soap must not be a detergent if that is the case.

Then she also seems to contradict herself. First there is so much soap that it clogs the washer and next that there is so little soap it does not clean the clothes. ??? Just sounds fishy.

What was your machine doing? How could you tell that it was getting clogged? Did you try a vinegar wash/rinse through the machine to clear the lines? They even recommend that for coffee pots.

Just curiouser and curiouser....

calendula

Unread post by calendula » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:06 pm

She does say that even though it is called Thieves "Soap" it is actually a detergent. I am not familiar with it though, so I can't say for sure. I think detergents can be vegetable based, so they don't all necessarily have to be made with petroleum. But they are certainly processed in a way that we can't replicate at home.

Our washer was most definitely clogged, and I don't think we'd had it for more than a year at that time, bought it brand new. In my HE washer, there is a little drawer in the front that you put the detergent into and then the washer dispenses it into the wash. That is where mine had the trouble. Water poured out of it and completely soaked the carpeted floor where my washer is kept. It was a nightmare. Hubby looked at it and it was all gunked up with the homemade laundry soap. Since we've switched to detergent, we've not had an issue. I don't know if it would make a difference if you added it directly to the wash tub instead of using the drawer or not? But it is something that I have even noticed with my homemade bars of soap is that it leaves a residue, soap scum I guess. I have to scrub that out of the sink and shower frequently, so I could see it causing problems in a washing machine. I don't know if vinegar would help or not. We use it every load, as a fabric softener. And I should note, I never had a clogging issue in my old-style agitating washer.

I had definitely noticed that the homemade detergent wasn't getting our clothes as clean, even before we bought the new washer, which is why I wasn't too heartbroken about giving it up. Especially with my husband's clothes--he has very oily skin and always complained that his shirts would feel oily and not smell good. But, I should mention, I was using the homemade liquid soap, not the dry. My recipe used my homemade 100% coconut oil bar soap (grated), borax, washing soda, and water. It is a pretty popular recipe, though I'm sure most people use Fels Naptha rather than making their own soap. You dissolve the grated soap in hot water, and then add the borax and washing soda. I always had to mix it each time I used it because it would clump up.

And another thing to consider is that we have very hard water here, so that could make a difference as well.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:42 pm

Ok... Been doing some research on the Thieves laundry soap.

https://www.youngliving.com/en_US/produ ... undry-soap

It is definitely a soap.

Ingredients

Water,
Decyl glucoside - coconut alcohol basically
Sodium oleate, - salt made from olive oil (usually... or avocado oil, but also in tallow and lard) it is the cleanser or surfactant
Glycerin - made from vegetable oils - humectant (one of my soap books shows how to make it or http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Glycerin)
Caprylyl glucoside - another coconut based alcohol
Lauryl glucoside - from malt syrup and cornstarch - makes the bubbles.
Sodium chloride - plain salt
Sodium gluconate - fermented glucose
Carboxymethyl cellulose - water soluble cellulose gum used as a thickener
Alpha-amylase, Protease, Lipase - all of these are plant based enzymes (Alpha- amaylase is recovered from kidney beans commercially) help with cleaning.
essential oils...
Citrus Limon† (Jade lemon) peel oil, Citrus aurantium bergamia† (Bergamot) peel oil (Furocoumarin-free), Syzygium aromaticum† (Clove) bud oil, Citrus limon† (Lemon) peel oil, Cinnamomum zeylanicum† (Cinnamon) bark oil, Eucalyptus radiata† oil, Rosmarinus officinalis† (Rosemary) leaf oil - Mostly just scent.

So... it sounds like basically most of the impurities have been removed to make a clearer product than regular soap.

I typically make my own laundry bar which has a very low superfat percentage for my laundry soap bar to use in the powdered recipe. The less "available" or free fat the better a bar cleans. Maybe that is why I have never had a problem with gunking. ??? Also what I was finding is that soaps that start with an oil that is liquid at room temperature (like avocado oil or olive oil) have less contaminants that leave residue than say a soap made from a fat that is solid at room temperature (like tallow, lard or cocoa butter)

Interesting topic for certain.

At any rate I am glad that your washer was not damaged and that you were able to find a solution.

Return to “The Laundry Room”