Candling Eggs (Or flashlighting them :) )

calendula

Candling Eggs (Or flashlighting them :) )

Unread post by calendula » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:53 pm

Since I'm a big baby, and I'm scared of a certain broody hen, I can't always get all the eggs out from her nesting box. :oops: She finally got off of them yesterday, and I wound up with a dozen eggs to bring in. Now that she is finally off of them, I am going to be better about making sure to get all the eggs in every day, even if it means wearing heavy duty gloves to retrieve them!

I was unsure which were good to eat still, and which ones had developing chicks in them. I have heard of candling eggs, which I always took to mean shining a light behind the eggs in order to see if there is anything inside. Am I right about this? I used a flashlight. Some of the eggs allowed the light to pass through, and I assumed that these were unfertilized then.

Others were opaque, and allowed no light to pass through. I assumed that these had been fertilized, and I composted them.

I am hoping that I was accurate in my thinking, but I know some of you are more experienced and can tell me if I am wrong about this...

Farmfresh

Re: Candling Eggs (Or flashlighting them :) )

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:14 pm

I think this video might be helpful to you.

Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:41 pm

Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

HybridHomesteader

Unread post by HybridHomesteader » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:52 pm

Crazy. On my day sevens the egg looked so dark we could barely see through. I wonder if I’m wrong in them?

G
Gina, Hybrid Homesteader, It'sMeG, TanksHill.... Mom, Wife, trouble maker extraordinaire.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:33 pm

Some eggs just have darker thicker shells. I have noticed that our blue ones are nearly impossible to candle.

Return to “Poultry”