Growing Pomegranates

Old Fashioned

Growing Pomegranates

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:57 pm

Come to find out, it is possible and maybe easier than we've been led to believe. There are some varieties that are cold tolerant to zone 6 with a bit of extra protection & care in the first year or two and can possibly adapt to available conditions there on out.

There are a number of tree nurseries that sell Pom trees as well as other citrus & tropical fruits, plus there is always starting from seeds. It may take longer to get fruit, but could be done that could result in a hardier tree to colder climates. If nothing else, it would be a worthwhile experiment.

For those in colder climate zones, I'd suggest picking the hottest and most protected part of your area to plant, use plenty of mulch and possibly cover to overwinter.....OR plant in a container to be moved inside or in a heated greenhouse to keep it above 10 degrees though the 15-30 ft height could become a problem. Pruning can keep it smaller & more manageable.

https://www.willisorchards.com/category ... Tn2pHdFyM8

The pomegrante is mostly grown for the fruit crop. They are also used as ornamental shrubs or trees in parks and gardens. The pomegranate tree is drought tolerant and can be grown in a dry area and in areas where there is good rainfall. It is best not to plant in wet areas as they are prone to root decay for fungal diseases. They also tolerate dipping temperatures down to about 10 degrees but should be planted in an area of protection from direct winter winds.

This place also has dwarf varieties....

http://www.chestnuthilltreefarm.com/sto ... nates.aspx

Here is more planting & care info...…

https://paradisenursery.com/product-cat ... ate-trees/

Pomegranate trees bear fruits ripe for harvest in the Fall from a small winter deciduous tree. As a plant will lose its leaves in the Winter to go dormant, it’ss important not to irrigate while the plant is dormant as that water will not be used. Begin to water in the Spring as Pomegranates leaf out. Pomegranates produce beautiful red color flower blossoms in the Spring. Pomegranate flowers can drop if watered too frequently. Water deeply about once per week in the early Spring. Irrigation frequency depends on your soil type, wind speed, temperature, etc. The frequency of irrigation can be increased without risk of the flower blossoms falling once they become small fruits. Increase the frequency of irrigation as the weather warms in the late spring to summer.
Pomegranates are one of the only plants that have colorful leaves, flowers, and fruits in the landscape almost all year round. It has flowers in the Spring and holds it fruit from summer to fall. Pomegranates only go dormant for 3 months of the year. Pomegranates are drought tolerant and grow very well under the direct full sun all day long. Even in hot climates such as the Southern United States. They are great Mediterranean and tropical plant that only needs 6 hours of direct sunlight per day to produce flowers and fruits. Pomegranates trees can grow between 10 – 30 feet tall, but most homeowners prune to keep their plants relatively small.
Believed to be Native to the Middle East Persia. Pomegranate is also known as Anar. Today there are classic and new varieties from all around the world. The most popular Pomegranate variety in America is Wonderful Pomegranates. They grow as upright single or multi-trunk, drought tolerant, deciduous fruiting plants. Generally, Pomegranate trees produce large, round fruit that is generally 5 – 8 inch in diameter with smooth red skin. The Red pomegranates are the most well known. They have dark red, sweet and tart arils are juicy with a seed at the center. Harvest pomegranates in the Fall.
The Wonderful Pomegranate is the most popular red variety grown in California. Wonderful pomegranates are large deep red varieties with delicious sweet and tart arils. The fruit is juicy and very flavorful. Pomwonderful is a popular brand of Pomegranate juicy made from the wonderful variety of pomegranate. At Paradise Nursery we grow a world famous Persian pomegranate tree variety that originates from the city of Saveh in Iran. This variety can grow large and able to withstand cracking. The fruit arils are very juicy with sweet and slightly tart flavor. It is very delicious and has a soft seed in the center. In contrast, White Pomegranates tend to have light-off white color with a pink blush. The fruit is a light white to pinkish color and very sweet with no acidity. The seeds are very soft.
Grow pomegranate trees in full sun and soil that drains well. Do not water too frequently while in bloom. Do not water a pomegranate tree while it is dormant in the winter. Begin watering once the trees leaf out in the spring. As infrequently as possible, attempt every 10 days to 30 days until the blossoms turn to small fruit. Then weekly in the Spring to twice a week in the Summer. Reduce water in the Fall until you no longer are watering in the Winter. Pomegranate trees grow very well in Los Angeles, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Hollywood, Pasadena, Burbank, Glendale, Simi Valley, Agoura Hills, Thousand Oaks, and Malibu. Plant pomegranate trees in the San Fernando Valley. In Tarzana, Encino, Woodland Hills, West Hills, Northridge, Calabasas, Reseda, Van Nuys, Porter Ranch, and Chatsworth. Also available in Orange County, Irvine, Santa Diego, Santa Barbara, and Ventura.

This and other citrus will be my next experiment project(s) |em10|

Farmfresh

Re: Growing Pomegranates

Unread post by Farmfresh » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:23 pm

I think I am slightly allergic to pomegranates. When I eat them or drink the juice my lips get all poofy.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

dizzy

Re: Growing Pomegranates

Unread post by dizzy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:47 pm

I had a mini pomegranate bush. I think it needed more protection than I was led to believe
It survived the first winter but not the next.

Return to “Gardening”