Foraging Crawfish... Crawdad

Farmfresh

Foraging Crawfish... Crawdad

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:38 am

Whether you call them crayfish, crawdads, mud bugs or fresh water lobsters little freshwater crustaceans resembling small lobsters are a very useful thing to forage. Some people will never venture any further than to use the little critters as fishing bait and others will be cooking up a huge feast of them and gobbling them down with gusto (I am one of the latter folks). No matter how you choose to use them you first need to be able to catch them. While some folks have the time and inclination to wade streams and pick them by hand a crawdad trap is a much easier method.

The other day I saw a cool video on making a cheap and very useful trap for the little crustacean that I thought I should share. It uses a bit of chicken wire and some zip ties and looks like a foraging winner to me.

How to Make a Pillow Trap for Crayfish - Jason Roush

Now that you have your crayfish, you should try this recipe. Yum! (I am also copying this recipe to the cooking section)

Crayfish Newburg

1 pound crawfish tails (5 pounds live weight) or 1 pound shrimp
1 cup fish stock
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
2 Tablespoons butter
Salt and Pepper
1 cup cream
1 teaspoon paprika
4 Tablespoons brandy
----
Clean the crawfish well and de-shell
Melt the butter and stir in the cornstarch to make a roux
Add fish stock and bring to a boil
Stir in cream, paprika, salt and pepper
Add crawfish meat and brandy
Heat well

Serve over rice or noodles

Are you a crawdad eater?
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Rhodie Ranch

Re: Foraging Crawfish

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:30 am

Ive only ever seen them in the American River in Sacramento, waaay back in 1969 when we lived there and Daddy was a squadron commander of C130's in Vietnam. They were small!

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:37 am

They live in almost every stream and river in the USA, but they are usually difficult to see since they hide amongst the rocks. I have seen them around here that get as large as the palm of your hand and even bigger. Around here you can catch them by tying a piece of chicken liver on a string and tossing it in a stream or pond. Wait patiently for a while then slowly gently pull it in and they will be hanging on to dinner by a pincher.

They are also a pretty invasive species in the UK. They call them the American Signal Crayfish there. Here is couple of other videos from another of my favorite UK YouTubers Scott Rea

Crayfish Campfire Cook

Crayfish Catch and Cook
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

dizzy

Unread post by dizzy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:13 pm

I've only caught them when I'm doing a lake study. I'm not sure if there's any rules about catching them and eating them here. NJ can be funny that way.

ETA: Just did a search. I came across a forum for hunters in NJ and someone asked about them on there. There are very few regulations that I'd have to worry about. I'm wondering if there's a good number in the stream in the woods by me.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:34 pm

Free food if there are. I am probably going to be making one of those pillow traps in the first video. We can take the trap to the lake the next time we go fishing and just leave it in until we are ready to leave.

Quail

Unread post by Quail » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:36 pm

I have never eaten crayfish and not sure I ever will.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:40 pm

If you like lobster, then you will like crayfish. They taste like a buttered lobster tail. YUM.

calendula

Unread post by calendula » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:10 am

We have tons of crawdads in the Black River here; they are a dark blue color. Every once in a while, you accidentally catch one when you are fishing. They like worms too apparently.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:12 am

The little ones make great catfish bait as well.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:00 am

Return to “Foraging”