Aloes

Old Fashioned

Aloes

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

I think it was last year, when I picked up a couple of aloe plants and they are different from each other. The one on the right, is the regular aloe vera with thick leaves full of gel. It's looking pretty bad with the leaves having turned brown and some have died off.....but it also growing new leaf buds. This is atleast the second time the plant has done this (dying off & regrowth). The last time it did this, I pulled the brown leaves and squeezed out the juice into a small jar, but I'm not sure that's a good way of keeping it or not. |em22|

The other plant on the left, just keeps growing taller. It's crooked mostly from the cat rubbing against it, but the plant is happy. This one hasn't died off like the other one and the leaves are thin and no gel in them. I think that when I bought it, I thought it was just like the other, but it's not. So I have no idea what to do with it, other than just let it be. |em22|

Does anyone have any idea or experience with aloes? Can you or how do you, save & preserve the gel???
aloes.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Farmfresh

Re: Aloes

Unread post by Farmfresh »

I grew an aloe once. Killed it. I am here as a learner.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

HybridHomesteader

Unread post by HybridHomesteader »

The one on the right looks like it has rot. They like to dry out in between watering. The soil is probably too organic. It’s a succulent so they like cactus soil, or something like Bonsai Jack. It’s an expensive soil so I don’t waste money on it. I use the citrus cactus mix from Lowe’s. They just like to be well drained. The first looks like a tiger aloe and is what they call etoliated. reaching for more light. If you google it there will be directions on how to behead it. You can make more plants if you want.

Aloes here are finicky. It gets way to hot and sunny for them to be planted out in the open. I have a couple in pots on my porch. They are neglected. So I’m not sure if I’m any help.

G
Gina, Hybrid Homesteader, It'sMeG, TanksHill.... Mom, Wife, trouble maker extraordinaire.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

You are an aloe expert in my book! Thanks for the info.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

I don't know if it is a Tiger aloe. From the pics I found in a search, Tigers are varigated with white or lighter color splotches and this one isn't. Just solid green.....unless it's a different type of Tiger |em22| It does grow to the light as you said, and it's had plenty of abuse. From my neglect and the cat & dogs having knocked it over & needing repotting......several times. |em3|

All my houseplants dry out between waterings cause I often forget about them. And this year, I sat them outside for a couple of months and had just brought them up on the deck. The odd thing about the other aloe that you say is rotted, is that it's done this before by dying off, then re-emerging. I'll have to look for the cactus soil mix and hopefully it'll stay green & growing??? The soil in the pot now is a mix of potting soil & from the garden......yeah probably not a good idea

Thanks for the info.