Oat Flatbread

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Patience

Oat Flatbread

Unread post by Patience »

Here you go Farmfresh!

A basic oat flatbread can be made with just rolled oats and water. We run the oats through the blender to make a fine flour and add water to whatever thickness we need, depending on what thickness we want, from runny for crepes to thick for heavier bread.

Any other flour can be added up to equal the amount of oat flour. We favor chickpea flour. We just buy it at an Indian grocery. They call it besan. Not tried grinding our own yet.

A cup and a half of rolled oats and a half cup of chickpea flour with enough almond milk to make a thin batter yielded 14 little thick crepes the size of my hand.

I work in small batches. It thickens as it stands so I either let it sit a while and add more liquid or just add liquid as I go if needed. Use maybe 3/4 cup almond milk to 1/2 cup oat flour mix at a time.

This lends itself well to additions and substitutions. Nuts, dried fruit, chopped onion, herbs and spices, etc. can be tossed in. Any milk or water works fine. Any flour or even bisquick can be used.

Guess it could be leavened with an egg or baking powder. A traditional Russian version is leavened with yeast.

We generally prefer it unleavened as we use it for a flatbread, folded or rolled around fillings. Just plain, right out of the fridge is great too. These will keep in the fridge and also freeze well.

patriceinil

Re: Oat Flatbread

Unread post by patriceinil »

Sounds like a recipe I need to try, thanks for sharing it.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

Thanks so much for posting this. It will be happening soon in my kitchen.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch »

interesting. I'd add a dash of salt too.
Found water and ------better weather, yeah, maybe not.....