Eggs Benedict and tricks for poached eggs

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Old Fashioned

Eggs Benedict and tricks for poached eggs

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

We love Eggs Benedict, well I should say #2 & myself do. #3 isn't all that interested in eggs so he just gets everything else. :grin:

Eggs Benedict

4 English muffins, toasted, split and buttered
8 poached eggs, directions to follow
8 slices Canadian Bacon or ham
hollandaise sauce, recipe to follow

Hollandaise Sauce

3 or 4 large egg yolks
1 T lemon juice
1/2 C butter, divided into 4-6 pieces (some recipes add the butter all at once or half at a time. I prefer to add in smaller amounts but choice is yours)

In a medium saucepan over a larger pan with water (or double boiler), whisk yolks with lemon juice over low heat. Start adding butter in whatever amounts you choose up to 1/2 C, whisking all the while till butter is melted and sauce is thickened.

Note***if eggs/sauce starts to separate and/or curdle, add 1 T. boiling water & whisk vigorously till smooth.

Assemble 2 muffin halves on each plate, top with a slice of Canadian bacon or ham, top that with poached eggs, then pour sauce over all. Serves 4.

I always make a double batch of sauce, cause I/we just love the stuff

How to poach an egg

There are egg poacher pans available, BUT if you don't have one, you can just crack the eggs into some boiling water, though the white may spread and/or become frothy. Nothing wrong with that I suppose, but not as appetizing.

I've read that if you add a bit of vinegar to the water, it will stop the white from spreading, but I've had mixed results with this. And NO the vinegar doesn't flavor the egg.

OR if you have some small saucers that will hold an egg, just put the saucers in a large pan with a bit of water in the bottom, crack an egg into each saucer, then cover the pan to cook the egg(s). Saucers should be tall enough to keep the egg intact without allowing any water into the saucer and enough water in the pan to cook the egg(s).

Technically the 'perfect' poached egg is one that the white is fully cooked, and the yolk has just a little run to it....though I think the perfectly cooked egg is the one that is eaten no matter it's consistency.

Farmfresh

Re: Eggs Benedict and tricks for poached eggs

Unread post by Farmfresh »

I don't know if I have ever had Eggs Benedict. I may have to try this one.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

calendula

Unread post by calendula »

I don't know if I have ever had it either Farm. I've been thinking about trying once for a weekend breakfast.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

If you crack the eggs one at a time and gently pour them into the water (from a close level to the water) from a custard cup, the whites won’t spread as much. Also you want the water at barely a simmer.

I’ve also seen professional chefs stir the water rapidly just before adding an egg. The swirling motion helps the egg white to stay close to the yolk.

You want to use a slotted spoon to gently remove the poached egg to a paper towel lined plate. Then blot any excess water from the egg before adding it to your English muffin.

Now I’m going to have to make a batch of gluten free English muffins so I can make eggs Benedict.

patriceinil

BTW, they are delicious garnished with a bit of fresh chives!

Farmfresh

I just buy my GF muffins. Glutino brand are not too shabby.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

patriceinil

The stores here don’t carry them.

Farmfresh

I can get mine at Walmart. I am surprised your Walmart doesn't have them.

patriceinil

I don’t shop at Walmart often, I’ll have to check next time I’m in there.

Farmfresh

You should be able to see if it is available at your local store by looking online.