Chocolate Covered Cherries - Christmas Candies

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Farmfresh

Chocolate Covered Cherries - Christmas Candies

Unread post by Farmfresh »

My neighbor Jolene used to make these for us every Christmas. They are amazing. Plus the recipe is EASY.

Philly Cream Cheese Chocolate Covered Cherries

* 1 block (8 oz.) Philadelphia Cream Cheese
* 1 bag (2 lb.) powdered sugar
* 1 tsp vanilla
* 1 jar red maraschino cherries
* Chocolate bark for dipping, either white or dark
---------
1. Kneed creamed cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla together until you have a stiff dough.
2. Form walnut sized ball of the candy mixture around each cherry.
3. Melt chocolate in a double boiler and dip cherries, placing them on wax paper lined cookie sheet to harden.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

patriceinil

Re: Chocolate Covered Cherries - Christmas Candies

Unread post by patriceinil »

Yum!

Farmfresh

We used to wait anxiously for her to bring them every year. Then she moved away. It took me far too long to find the recipe.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

patriceinil

That’s how I was when a neighbor brought over date nut bread at Christmas when I was a kid. I found a good gf version and can make it anytime I want now.

Patience

Unread post by Patience »

Those sound amazing Farmfresh!

Here’s our version.

We drained our maraschino cherries and then soaked them in licor 43, a sweet, fruity Spanish liqueur. Left them overnight. The alcohol is said to liquify the centers.

Made a super simple fondant to wrap the cherries in before dipping them in chocolate.

Dumped marshmallow cream in a bowl, we used the small jar of Jet Puff. Poured powdered sugar in and stirred. And stirred. And stirred some more. Kept adding powdered sugar.

Added a teaspoon of vanilla and stirred. When it got too thick to stir I buttered my hands generously. Ended up working several tablespoons in.

Didn’t help keep it off my hands at all but really improved the flavor.

When it finally got to a dough consistency it went into a heavily buttered container with a tight fitting lid. Tucked it in the fridge overnight.

We blotted the cherries on a paper towel the next day. Pinched off a ball of the fondant just a tad bigger than the cherry it was intended for. Rolled it, pinched it flat and worked it around the cherry.

Chilled them while we worked on other stuff.

Dipped the bottoms in melted chocolate. Once they were all dipped we dipped them all completely.

Just used the cherry stems to hold them while we drug them through the melted chocolate.

By the third day the centers were starting to liquify. By the fourth day they were all gone. Bet the centers would go totally liquid in 5-7 days. They’ll never last that long here. We loved the chewy fondant around the cherries the first couple days!

Farmfresh

Wow. That is totally different, but sounds delicious as well. My hubby is wild about chocolate cherry anything. I bet he would love yours.

patriceinil

They do sound delicious! I might have to give making some a try.