Gluten Free Roux

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
patriceinil

Gluten Free Roux

Unread post by patriceinil »

***FYI***I just discovered that you can make a decent roux using any fat type and SWEET white rice flour. It is NOT sweet in flavor but it is glutinous so it thickens nicely where as regular white flour does not.

It actually thickened better than corn starch or arrowroot. It’s pretty inexpensive compared to the Ultra Gel that I have been using to get a thicker consistency than with corn starch or arrowroot.

Farmfresh

Re: Gluten Free Roux

Unread post by Farmfresh »

I typically use the cornstarch, but it is good to know that the rice flour thickens better. It would be better to use for a cream gravy then.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

patriceinil

Not regular rice flour FF, it has to be the Sweet type rice flour. It is actually ground from the rice they use for sushi because it’s sticky.

I added a bit of it to the pierogi dough to give it a bit more holding power & chew.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. I will share the info with D2 as well.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

patriceinil

When it is rehydrated (and boiled or baked) it gets gelatinous.