Marinated Artichokes

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Old Fashioned

Marinated Artichokes

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

Those little jars in the store are sure expensive for such a small amount that I rarely buy them, so when I got a great deal on some clearance chokes, I devised a plan and this is what I did.

Cut off the very end of the stem, pull off the bottom row or two of leaves, with scissors clip off the tips of the leaves, then cut in half with a large serrated edged bread knife. Then cut off & discard the top inch. Then cut off the bottom where the heart is, about an inch up. Discard the small center leaves with the purple tinge. The rest of the larger leaves should still have some meat, so set those aside.
Next, cut into quarters, then with a knife, spoon or melon baller scoop out the hairy centers & discard. Rinse each piece, then add to the marinade. You do need to work quickly with the cutting & cleaning because that center heart turns brown from oxidation quickly. Or you can brush the cut pieces with some lemon juice.

Marinade

Italian salad dressing
1/2 as much lemon juice
couple of cloves of garlic, chopped fine
a little salt to taste.

If you do only a few to have on hand in the fridge, boil or steam the artichokes before cleaning for about 10 or 15 minutes. I added the raw chokes to the marinade as I cleaned them, then packed in pint jars, poured on the marinade, debubbled, lids on and into the pressure canner. Since I was also canning meat in the same canner load, I process it at 10lbs(my altitude) for 75 minutes.

There are also recipes that call to water bath OR just put the jar(s) into the fridge to cure for a month...…..so I hope PC canning them didn't ruin them.

Farmfresh

Re: Marinated Artichokes

Unread post by Farmfresh »

I love those marinated artichokes! Thanks for posting this recipe. Let us know how they turn out.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

I love them too as a tasty snack. Also love the whole artichoke, pull off the leaves & dip in butter, then cut & clean out the hairy parts......then dip the hearts in the butter too.

Anyway, this marinade tastes just like the store bought.....or atleast it did as fresh.

The chokes in the jars, after taking them out of the canner looked dark, but I think that's because the chokes weren't in prime condition since I got them from the clearance table and were kinda dark. That and they turn dark FAST. Faster than an apple, banana or an avocado.

I have an artichoke in the garden, that managed to survive the winter. Probably because it's right next to the canoe and I mulched it heavily. Now I just hope it'll produce

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

I am supposed to be able to grow some varieties here. I have tried a few times. I need to try again.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

Sounds yummy, let us know how they taste after pressure canning when you open the jars.

Patience

Unread post by Patience »

Sounds delicious, I love those marinated artichoke hearts! They won’t produce here but we grew one just because it was cool a couple years ago.