Egg Rolls, Won Tons and even Wrappers

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Old Fashioned

Egg Rolls, Won Tons and even Wrappers

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

These are really good and just like your favorite restaurant........just don't use the air fryer. They will work, but definately not as good as fried in oil.

Recipe for the wrappers is the same for egg rolls, won tons, potstickers, etc.....just the size & shape of the cut is different.

WRAPPERS

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
1/3 cup water, approximately

Mix all together and knead several minutes till smooth. Let rest 15 minutes or so. Divide into smaller workable pieces and roll out to flat rectangle or use a pasta roller machine to very thin. Cut to size needed. Fill and fold. Use a bit of water or a water/flour paste to seal edges if needed.

folding----wontons----using about 2x2 inch square of wrapper, put about a teaspoon or so of filling in the center of wrapper and either bring all edges up and twist to secure filling.....or fold opposite corner over filling and pinch to seal making a triangle, then bring both bottom corners together one over the other and pinch.

Egg Rolls-----using about 4x4 inch square of dough, spread about 1/4 cup of filling across the diagonal, fold over one corner, then each side corners, then roll up the last corner.

WON TON FILLING

1lb ground pork
1 T. sesame oil
1 T. soy sauce
1 T. chopped fresh ginger or 1 tsp ground ginger
1 small can water chestnuts, finely chopped
2 or 3 chopped green onions
2 or 3 fresh mushrooms, chopped/finely diced

Stir all together, then fill wrappers. Drop into boiling broth and cook about 5-7 minutes. sprinkle additional green onion and/or cilantro. (NOTE***all ingredients are raw and will be cooked when boiled in soup)

For a Wor Won Ton.......add meat, sliced mushrooms, greens &/or other veggies to the soup.

EGG ROLLS

1lb ground pork
2 Cups shredded cabbage
2 Cups shredded carrots
2 T. water
2 T. soy sauce
2 T. oyster sauce
1/2 to 1 tsp Chinese 5 spice
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp garlic powder

Brown the ground pork, add remaining ingredients stirring occasionally and well mixed. Let cool a bit and easy to work with. Fill & fold into wrappers and fry in hot oil, till golden & crispy.

(NOTE*** 4 Cups coleslaw mix can be used instead of cabbage/carrots. Other meats, shrimp & veggies such as bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts can also be used depending on what you like and have on hand. Also NOTE*** all egg roll filling is precooked and only needs the wrapper cooked after assembly)

dizzy

Re: Egg Rolls, Won Tons and even Wrappers

Unread post by dizzy »

I've been buying frozen won tons at Walmart, might have to try these. I love won tons.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

YUM!!
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

Thanks OF, those sound yummy! I’ll have to play with the wrapper recipe to see if the gluten free version will stay together once rolled thin. I didn’t have luck with gluten free pasta dough when trying to make pierogi or ravioli. The dough is too fragile and would not hold together once a filling was added.

Old Fashioned

Patrice & Farm and anyone getting away from wheat.........I did a search of using rice flour in place of wheat or AP flour and from what I could tell...it is a possible alternative. Although the final results may be different. It might be worth a try, especially since there is no leavening? for the 'gluten' to work from. |em22|

patriceinil

I know that part of the problem for me is I can’t use xanthan gum and that is what binds and make gluten free things more “elastic”. I react to it when I add it to my recipes but I tolerate it in a lot of the premise stuff so I’m not sure what the issue is. Maybe I had a bad bag of it and should purchase another bag to try it in my homemade stuff. The thing holding me back is that it is expensive and if I react to it again then I’m out the money. I’ve tried using other products as binder replacements, some have worked well others not so much.

I guess I’ll check the grocery store again and see if they are carrying the xanthan gum still, they keep changing what gluten free items they stock constantly.

Old Fashioned

I did some searching online for a gluten free recipe for wrappers. All that I found seemed a bit complicated to me, having to mix different types of flours, gums and starches, etc. But also kept in mind the ingredients for regular wrappers (not GF), sounded alot like homemade pasta......so I did some more searching and found this recipe for GF pasta.

https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/glut ... -homemade/

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups (6oz/172g) blanched almond flour
1 1/2 cup (6oz/172g) tapioca starch
2 eggs + 2 egg yolks

Instructions
In a large bowl combine the almond flour and tapioca starch, making sure there are no lumps in the almond flour.
Make a well in the center of the bowl and add in the eggs and egg yolks.
Using a fork begin to whisk the eggs into the dry ingredients.
At first, the mixture may seem dry but keep mixing. Once mostly combined and crumbly, begin to bring the dough together with your hands, kneading for about 3-5 minutes until you have a smooth dough. It may seem a bit crumbly at this stage but will get wetter after it rests.
Cut the dough into 4 equal parts then cover with a damp tea towel to rest for about 15 minutes.
Dust a large work surface and a rolling pin with tapioca starch. Once the dough has rested, take a piece of dough and roll it out gently until it is between 1/4 and 1/8 of an inch thick. Think thinner the better as it will puff up once cooked so factor that in.
Using a sharp knife or a pizza cutter cut the dough into thin even strips, or whatever thickness you desire. Carefully lift the strips up and gently separate. I found it easier to work with shorter strips (around 6 inches long).

It's very easy and with few ingredients, and I don't see why won tons, dumplings or egg rolls couldn't be made with the same dough, regardless of GF or not. Basics are the same......flour, salt, egg and water for wrappers and flour, salt, eggs and oil for pasta.

Of course, the important factor is actual taste, and ease of use which I have no idea for GF. |em22|

patriceinil

Thanks OF, almond flour will give a slight almond flavor and aroma. I’m not sure how well it would fry up since nuts get bit when they get dark colored when roasting them. One day when I’m feeling up to it, I might play around with making a wrapper from a gf flour blend.

Farmfresh

That is what I am looking forward to. You got the skills Patrice.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Farmfresh