Best Biscuits - a Homestead Classic

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Farmfresh

Best Biscuits - a Homestead Classic

Unread post by Farmfresh »

I am starting this off with a great biscuit video. Please post your favorite biscuit recipes as well.

And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Old Fashioned

Re: Best Biscuits - a Homestead Classic

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

I just pulled this over from somewhere else. |em13|

Standard Biscuits

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsps baking powder
3 to 4 Tbls shortening, (lard or fat or even oil)
2/3 to 3/4 cup milk

(directions are my own) Mix dry ingredients with shortening to make crumbs, add milk to form soft dough. Roll out onto floured surface and knead in just enough flour to stop it from sticking. Really quick, only a couple times. (the more you knead the dough and add flour to it, the tougher the biscuits so keep it short). Pat dough out with flat of hand to about an inch thick or less, or use a rolling pin but could get sticky. Cut your biscuits and set in pan sides touching.....this forces the biscuits upward during cook time(cast iron skillet is perfect hillbilly biscuits)

If you have buttermilk to use for biscuits or even pancakes or? the recipe is much the same, except add 1/2 tsp baking soda to neutralize the acids in buttermilk

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

I need to find a good gluten free biscuit recipe. I’ll have to check my America’s Test Kitchen cookbooks.

Farmfresh

Two Ingredient Biscuits

Ingredients:

2 cups Self-Rising Flour
1 to 1 ½ cups Heavy Cream
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

patriceinil

I wonder if that would work with gluten free flour or if the fat in the cream would be too heavy.

Farmfresh

I have no idea. Just watching her tear open those biscuits ... wow. Sometimes I really miss gluten.

patriceinil

Me too!