Gravy - What More Can You Ask!

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Farmfresh

Gravy - What More Can You Ask!

Unread post by Farmfresh »

Red Eye Gravy... From ham steak and black coffee. (BTW... My hillbilly family on my dad's side eat this. I think it tastes gross, but I don't like coffee. )

Southern red eye is made with drippings from a fried ham steak and coffee for the liquid. It is not thickened at all either. To make red eye you basically fry up the ham and then when it is done add a cup of strong black coffee to the pan and heat it through with the grease of the pan. You pour it over the ham slices on your plate and sop it up with a slice of corn bread or some buttermilk biscuits.

Traditional, but served over grits

Updated and thickened.

And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Farmfresh

Re: Gravy - What More Can You Ask!

SOS - (__it on a Shingle or Hamburger Gravy)

Toast
1 lb. Ground beef
1/4 Cup Flour
2 Cups Milk
Onion Powder, Salt and Pepper to Taste
Optional – 1 teaspoon Beef Bouillon per cup of liquid
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Farmfresh

Sausage Gravy... With Biscuits

Farmfresh

Basic Gravy - White

How to Make Creamy White Gravy

REAL Brown Beef Gravy

Grandma Nettie browned the roast before roasting and then browned onions in the beef fat. Both of those "little add ins" made the gravy deep brown and rich without the stuff in the bottle.

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch »

I'd never heard of s...on a shingle until much later in life. Mother made Creamed Chipped Beef (using those tiny jars of thin sliced meats) on toast points.
Found water and ------better weather, yeah, maybe not.....

Farmfresh

I had to look that up. I have heard of the jar chip beef but don't think I have ever eaten any. When we made "chipped" beef on toast Grandma Nettie basically used left over roast cut into chunks and similar to a sausage gravy.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

Thanks for all the videos FF!

SOS is made with the chipped beef here in the north.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

Technically......SOS is made with the chipped beef, just like the stuff in the jar. It was originally a dish prepared in the military and I think each branch had their own version of it. Hamburger has become the popular version. |em24|

Farmfresh

My dad was an army cook and he always made it with ground beef and onions. I have never had the chipped beef version, but to me it wouldn't look as much like poo as the hamburger does. ???