Apple Fritter Bread/Cake

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Old Fashioned

Apple Fritter Bread/Cake

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

I've been having a hankering for apple fritters, but don't need anything deep fried right now so I came up with a baked version. Then later found other recipes for a bread or cake.

I used Chef Johns recipe for fritters, except I used milk for the liquid cause I didn't have sparking apple cider. I wanted to use his recipe since it includes ginger and nutmeg with cinnamon for spices, that other fritter recipes only used cinnamon. Since I had 2 HUGE apples (more than needed for one recipe) I doubled the cake part.

I really enjoyed this since the spices weren't too overpowering (more on the mellow side) and the apples were cooked. YUM. Well, I suppose it could have used a bit more spices, but it's still good. |em24|

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/25563 ... -fritters/

Ingredients

1 tablespoon butter

2 large Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch dice

1 tablespoon white sugar

1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour

1 ½ teaspoons baking powder

½ teaspoon kosher salt

½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

¼ teaspoon ground ginger

⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 large egg

¼ cup white sugar

1 tablespoon melted butter

½ cup sparkling apple cider

Glaze:

1/2 C. powdered sugar
1 Tbls milk (or apple cider)
hefty pinch (1/4 tsp?) cinnamon

Directions

Step 1
Melt butter over medium-high heat and cook until it turns golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add apples and cook over medium-high heat until apples just begin to soften around the edges, 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle in 1 tablespoon sugar and continue cooking another 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Drain in a strainer; let cool to room temperature.

Step 2
Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg together in a mixing bowl until well combined.

Step 3
Whisk egg, 1/4 cup sugar, and melted butter together in a separate mixing bowl. Add cooled apple pieces and sparkling apple cider; add the flour mixture. Stir just until flour is incorporated.

(my directions for baking)....Then I poured it all into a loaf pan & baked @ 350 for about 50-60 minutes and toothpick in center comes out clean. I mixed the glaze and added a pinch more cinnamon, but left it aside to drizzle on as you please....or not. And I was thinking it would work great if baked in a bundt pan, then drizzle the glaze over it all. Perfect for the holidays.

Farmfresh

Re: Apple Fritter Bread/Cake

Unread post by Farmfresh »

Sounds yummy!
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

Sounds delicious! I think I’m going to have to try that as a bundt cake with gluten free flour.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

I really liked it, even without the glaze. Not too sweet and not too spicy, just enough to make it good. Boys weren't that impressed and like fried fritters better. Of course they would, they're young and all about that greasy fried stuff. I was trying to make it just a bit more healthy by baking it.

I'll finish up what's left for my brunch today, not a problem |em10|