Orange Ginger Pork or Chicken

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Old Fashioned

Orange Ginger Pork or Chicken

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

I've never had this before, but having some oranges and pork that needed using up I found this recipe and it is gooooood I can't stop eating it.

https://www.rockrecipes.com/ginger-oran ... enderloin/

Ingredients

1 pound pork tenderloin cut in thin strips
2 tbsp olive oil
1 clove minced garlic
½ cup brown sugar
Zest and juice of one orange
1 tablespoon grated ginger root
1 ¼ cups orange juice
2 tsp corn starch
1 tsp Chinese 5 spice
Salt and pepper to season
Canola oil for frying
¼ cup chopped toasted almonds optional

For the Tempura Batter
1 egg
1 cup ice water
1 cup flour

Instructions

In a medium saucepan saucepan sauté garlic in the olive oil for about a minute.
Add brown sugar, ginger, orange zest and juice, 1 cup of the additional orange juice, 5 spice, salt and pepper. Simmer for about 10 minutes.

Mix the two teaspoons of corn starch with ¼ cup orange juice and add to the boiling pot stirring constantly. Cook for an additional minute and remove from the heat.

To cook the pork

Heat 2 inches of canola oil to 350 degrees in a deep fryer or in a heavy bottomed large pot.
Season pork strips with salt and pepper and dip in the tempura batter, then drop into the hot oil.
Cook for only a couple of minutes until pale golden brown.
Remove from oil and drain.
Toss the fried pork pieces in half the ginger orange sauce, reserving the other half for serving over rice or as a dipping sauce for eggrolls or spring rolls.
Top with a sprinkle of the chopped toasted almonds.

To make the tempura batter
Whisk together the egg, ice water and flour and let stand for 15 minutes.

I see no reason why the flour can't be substituted with corn starch....which many Chinese recipes call for in making a batter or frying.

My oranges weren't juicy enough, so I used Sunny D original to make up the difference......then realized it wasn't enough sauce to coat the pork and have extra to pour on the rice so I made a second batch with just Sunny D.
I didn't have tenderloin but I did have a couple small packages of 'pork for pazole' from Safeway markdown. Worked great and already cut to bite sized pieces. Got them coated in batter, fried & drained. then tossed with the first batch of sauce. When plating it up, made a bed of rice, topped with the sauced pork, then poured more sauce over the top to mix with the rice. Didn't have almonds, but sprinkled some sesame seeds over the top......then sauteed cabbage, onions & mushrooms on the side. |em24|

PS.....also, I didn't have fresh ginger so I used about half as much called for of dried/ground ginger

Farmfresh

Re: Orange Ginger Pork or Chicken

Unread post by Farmfresh »

"... it is gooooood I can't stop eating it."

That is MY kind of recommendation!
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

We all enjoyed it so this one is a keeper for sure. It's a pretty simple recipe and the most time consuming part is frying up the pieces. I'd suggest to double the sauce so you can toss the meat with part of it, then drizzle the rest over the top and plain rice.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

Sounds delicious! I’m going to have to try this recipe, thanks for sharing it.