Anyone can apple pie filling?

Jams and Jellies, pickles, fruit and high acid foods - these are all candidates for water bath canning.
Old Fashioned

Anyone can apple pie filling?

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:17 am

I bought a 20+lb box of Gravenstein apples, with the intent of making sauce. Hubs suggested doing some as pie filling. The last time I had tried canning apple pie filling (over 25 years ago), by the time it came out of the oven it was applesauce pie. They didn't hold up thru the canning AND baking process, so I've not made it since. Instead using fresh apples for pies.

Does anyone do this & if so, what is your recipe and process to keep the apples intact. Or would it be better to just freeze em?? |em22|

Farmfresh

Re: Anyone can apple pie filling?

Unread post by Farmfresh » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:51 am

I generally mix up a batch of pie filling (or several batches) just as if I were going to bake a pie today. Then I put a pie plate in an inside out ziplock bag, using the ziplock as the crust so to speak. I fill up the pie plate and freeze the filling. Once it is hard I tip it out of the plate and turn the bag to seal it up. Then back into the freezer. When I want a pie, I just take out the filling, stick it in a crust and bake away. It does ad to the baking time, but not really by that much amazingly.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:19 am

Yes, I was thinking the same thing........to just freeze em with the sugar & seasonings.....then just thaw, put in pastry & bake.

I've also been tossing around the idea of raw packing the apples instead of the pre-cooking of hot pack. Toss the apples with some lemon juice, put into the jars, making the seasoned syrup separate and bringing to a boil to pour over the apples in the jar.......then process.

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:26 pm

I have canned apple pie filling. The above is exactly how it did it. YUMMY, even five years later!

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:36 pm

Murph........you raw packed it? That's what I ended up doing as well. But I also cut the apples into bigger pieces. I ended up with 7 pints cause I am saving whatever quarts I have left for more broths. I tried to cram the apples to allow for some shrinkage, but by the time they came out of the canner I had about 1/3 apples, 2/3's juice.....and would probably take all 7 pts for 1 good pie. I did save enough out for a small pie that I'll make later tonight cause right now I'm working on the sauce
I think the next time I go to make a pie I'll use a mix of fresh apples along with a pint or two of the canned. That way, they'll go farther and will give it some bite.

dizzy

Unread post by dizzy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:54 pm

I've done peach pie filling, but not apple. And, I do put it in cans. Normally, it never makes it into a pie. I just eat it out of the jar.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:45 am

This video includes an apples for pie demonstration. It also demonstrated Apple Jelly from cores and peels and Dehydrated Apples.

Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:45 am

Good video!

bittersweetbranch

Unread post by bittersweetbranch » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:16 am

We have never liked our apples fresh frozen and used in pies. I go to all the trouble and end up feeding the pie to the dogs because no one will eat it. This past winte I got tired of the waste, used my imagination, and decided to try something different. We really like fresh apples cooked with cinnamon and butter in a cast iron skillet. So, I froze the raw apple slices like usual. I cut them a little big because they don't mush as bad when they are cooked. When I was ready to make the pie I precooked the apple slices with brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon just until the apples were soft, not too mushy. I added a little bit of flour across the bottom of my pie shell to soak up any extra liquid made while it baked. They ate the whole thing! You can also add some pecan pieces or some caramel bits to mix it up just a bit.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:51 am

Yum! That sounds delicious especially with caramel added to it.

Return to “Water Bath Canning”