Applesauce question

Jams and Jellies, pickles, fruit and high acid foods - these are all candidates for water bath canning.
Old Fashioned

Applesauce question

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:23 pm

I just pulled out a pint of applesauce, that the lid popped when I touched it indicating it hadn't been sealed. I opened the jar, and the lid was attached to the jar like a fake seal or something (not loose or easy removal) and there was NO sign of mold or anything unusual, so I gave it the sniff test. Smelled somewhere between alcohol & vinegar. Went back to get another jar and checked all the remaining. One other was the same, semi-sealed & top popped, no other signs of having gone bad. This one smelled more like applesauce.

I am thinking these 2 jars may have been part of that batch that siphoned in the PC last year, since neither jar was 'filled' but had more than normal head space. Anyway, my question is given they were PC'd and a high acid, plus added sugar...…..is it safe to eat?????? I'm not planning on it and going to toss them, but for future reference it would be good to know.....iffn ya get my drift |em22|

Farmfresh

Re: Applesauce question

Unread post by Farmfresh » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:34 pm

Nope... don't eat it.

Anytime a seal fails it is just best practice.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:43 pm

Yeah, I had a 'well DUH' moment after I posted that. Thankfully the rest of it is fine.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:06 pm

Definitely don’t eat it, it’s not worth getting sick from.

Return to “Water Bath Canning”