Having your Pressure Canner checked

Low acid foods, like most veggies, ready made recipes and meats all require pressure canning to keep them safe.
Old Fashioned

Having your Pressure Canner checked

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:29 pm

So yesterday I hit the local hardware store for some potting soil & canner gaskets and noticed a sign that said they were approved by the county extension office for checking pressure canners. YAY for me as I probably wouldn't call the county because it's inconvenient but the hardware store that I frequent is much easier. So I made my purchases and went home with the intention of coming back with the canner. When I had asked, was told to just bring in the lid.

Went back today with the lid and the gaskets I had bought the day before, just to make sure I had the right ones. I had bought 2, 1 for the canner and 1 as a backup. Anyway, the guy that checked it by hooking it up to some kind of pressure pump & gauge reader...said it was running 2lbs light. Meaning if my gauge said 10lbs, it really was only 8lbs, so I was borderline needing a new gauge, since 3lbs off either way would be the deal breaker. BUT to make sure I had the right gaskets, I needed to bring the whole pot as the model number is on the bottom. OK

So I went home & got the pot and went back. HE was then on lunch and had someone else try to help me that had never done it before. I played dumb & didn't let them know I had already had the other guy test it.....just to see if they said the same as he did, or not. But after reading the directions and giving it a go, they said it read just fine...at which time the guy had been called from his lunch break to help and he also said it read fine and was weird that it didn't before. HMMMMMM, ok whatever.

Then from the number on the pot, I was told I had bought the wrong size. I had bought for a 23qt canner, when in fact mine is a 22qt. Did the exchange and had the guy put the new gasket on the lid and replace the rubber plug thingy as well (both are sold together in the same box). When putting the lid on the canner, it was a very snug fit compared to the old gasket and was also told the gaskets & rubber plugs are good for about 5 years before needing replaced again, with normal use.

Now.....I am wondering if this is all true? Or did I get hoodwinked??? Also...….is that all I needed checked? The dial gauge??? Or something else as well???

PS...…..check your local hardware or maybe even the feed store to see if they can do pressure checks, if your county office is inconvenient or unavailable.

Farmfresh

Re: Having your Pressure Canner checked

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:16 pm

Nope. That is what they check. Looks like you got someone that did a good job all around for you. Maybe the first time he hooked it up he didn't have it seated quite right or something. ?? At least it checked and ready to go now.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

patriceinil

Re: Having your Pressure Canner checked

Unread post by patriceinil » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:19 pm

I bought the All American canner that doesn’t use gaskets so I wouldn’t have to worry about storing extra gaskets.

I should have mine tested but since I’m at 1000 feet above sea level and need to can at 11 psi I use the 15 lb weight and try to keep at 11-12 lbs on the dial when canning.

Return to “Pressure Canning”