What are you canning?

Low acid foods, like most veggies, ready made recipes and meats all require pressure canning to keep them safe.
Farmfresh

Re: What are you canning?

Unread post by Farmfresh »

Looks like a great recipe to stock your shelves with!
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

HybridHomesteader

Unread post by HybridHomesteader »

Pressure canning chicken stock today. I make a big batch over the weekend. I used 2 packs of 1/4’s I got dirt cheap. Added just some onion and celery I had on hand. I now have a bucket of chicken in the fridge and 4 quarts of stock in the canner_. Most excellent flavor.

It always amazes me how I had all that broth and now it’s only 4 qts. Well more like 5 but I’m drinking one.

G
Gina, Hybrid Homesteader, It'sMeG, TanksHill.... Mom, Wife, trouble maker extraordinaire.

calendula

Unread post by calendula »

Homemade broth is so much better than store bought.

HybridHomesteader

Unread post by HybridHomesteader »

Definitely
Gina, Hybrid Homesteader, It'sMeG, TanksHill.... Mom, Wife, trouble maker extraordinaire.

Farmfresh

Not to mention how much more nutritious! When I make broth nutrition is always on my mind so I load it up with goodness. When Swanson's does it, they parade a wet chicken through a pot of water and call it broth.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

calendula

Unread post by calendula »

Exactly Farm! The thing I like the best about homemade is how it thickens up when it cools--all that gelatin and collagen makes it so rich and delicious, plus it's good for your body. I like to use the feet because it adds so much of that richness.

Farmfresh

Meeee too. I took some homemade potato soup to our Bible study potluck the other night... made with "trotter" broth. Everyone commented on how rich and good it was. I told them it was homemade broth, but I skipped the part about the chicken feet. |em28|

Most people these days just wouldn't understand.

dizzy

Unread post by dizzy »

All I did this year was some blueberry pie filling. I really don't have the time to do anything else this year. I hope I have more time next year.

Farmfresh

Same here. Just not much canning going on.

Return to “Pressure Canning”