Anti-caking agent

Less storage space and better long term storage.
Old Fashioned

Anti-caking agent

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:26 pm

Anyone know of a good anti-caking agent??? A year or more ago (or whenever it was), I had dehydrated some onions, then ground to powder. It has since clumped like rocks in the container. I do still use it and have to break off pieces & crumble them into recipes, but if there is a good anti-caker out there, I'd love to hear it. I've also had this happen with store bought Au Jus sauce powder. It's all still good to use, just a PITA. I'm running low & would love to do more onions once of these days and this would make it so much easier. Just got a thought and I'm not sure what the difference is here since they are all stored together in the same place, but I've also made garlic powder and it's not been a problem with clumping and I'm not sure why |em22|

PS......I don't want to use flour, cornstarch for obvious reasons or salt. I like to control the amount of salt added to my foods and if I make garlic salt & onion salt & celery salt, then add it all to the same recipe. WOWZA

patriceinil

Re: Anti-caking agent

Unread post by patriceinil » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:58 am

Maybe try adding an oxygen absorber pack to the container and keep the dehydrated onions/powder in a glass jar with a gasket style lid (canning jar lid) or rubber gasket like the Tattler lids.

Farmfresh

Re: Anti-caking agent

Unread post by Farmfresh » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:13 am

Typically I don't grind into powder. I just leave it in chunks. You can always grind it more when you need to use it. Chunks won't go into a block as bad as powder. Could you dump out the garlic powder, regrind it and then mix it with some dried minced garlic to loosen the mix. Often things with different sizes don't pack as tight.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Return to “Dehydrating and Drying”