Powdered Eggs - Dehydrating

Less storage space and better long term storage.
Old Fashioned

Powdered Eggs - Dehydrating

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:59 pm

It's a great way to store eggs, especially if you have more than what you need during peak production and you'll still have eggs during the molting season. This way you have eggs year round.

Using the fruit roll up trays of a dehydrator, crack open the eggs into a bowl and scramble. Carefully pour onto each roll up sheet, just a bit shy of being full. Depending on your model, probably between 4 to 6 eggs per sheet.

Once the eggs are dried thru, run them thru a grinder or blender to powder. Then spread it on the fruit roll up sheets again and dry for about a half hour to an hour...….just to make sure it's really dry. Then store in an air tight container.

To reconstitute mix 1 Tablespoon egg powder to 2 Tablespoons warm water

When I've used my powdered eggs for baking, I'll reconstitute them first...then add them in as if they were fresh eggs.

I've also used some for scrambled eggs and have heard they can have a bit of a grainy texture, then I found out if you add just a wee drop of oil to the eggs/water, it wasn't grainy at all. Or I suppose I should say, I didn't notice any graininess. The cooked scrambled eggs looked, smelled and tasted just like fresh eggs.

Here is a video of where I got the idea....but I do it a bit differently.

Also, about those fruit roll up sheets......I was having trouble because mine had warped a bit and it became a mess when dehydrating eggs. My solution????? Using small enough saucers to fit on the trays and still be able to stack more trays and put on the lid. I have the same model dehydrator as in the video and I can squeeze 3 saucers on each tray.

Farmfresh

Re: Powdered Eggs - Dehydrating

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:11 am

I have done this in the past. It works great I think, but it is a LOT of work. I typically just freeze our excess eggs by scrambling them with some salt and freezing in ice cube trays.

Just because I am paranoid... I also froze the egg powder, but it takes up very little freezer space.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:17 am

It is kinda weird that the eggs feel kinda oily when dehydrated before powdering them & I've wondered about that. But I think that second drying time after it's powdered, takes out that concern. I'm not as paranoid and have been doing this over the last several months I guess and now have a 64oz mayo jar nearly full. There's probably around 10-15 dozen eggs in there, maybe more, IDK. I'm trying to stay away from the freezer as much as I can and have kept it stored in my cupboard all this time.

Last week after drying up a bunch, then needing some for a recipe, I used the powdered eggs just to see how well they worked. As I said, I reconstituted the eggs first, then added them in and it worked great. And since I was hungry, I did a couple more for some scrambled eggs with just a bit of oil added, and again it worked & tasted great. If I hadn't known otherwise, I would of thought it was fresh eggs & couldn't tell the difference.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:01 pm

Excellent. This winter it will be nice to have eggs when all the hens quit laying.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:06 pm

Awesome, I will have to try dehydrating some eggs while they are still cheap.

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:26 am

Farm mentioned dehydrating eggs soon. So I looked up this thread. My chickens at my old place are producing 3 - 4 a day. Is is worth it to dehydrate some of them?

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:30 pm

Rhodie Ranch wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:26 am
Farm mentioned dehydrating eggs soon. So I looked up this thread. My chickens at my old place are producing 3 - 4 a day. Is is worth it to dehydrate some of them?

I think it wouldn't hurt to have some powdered on hand. They can work great in cooking/baking and save any fresh eggs for frying or boiling.

The powdered eggs are also good as scrambled or in Egg Drop Soup.

When I've used or tried any dehydrated foods, including the eggs......I prefer to rehydrate them first, unless it's being part of a soup with long cooking times in liquid.

If you do powder the eggs and use them for scrambled.....be sure to add a drop of oil to the powder & water. This helps rid of the graininess. Other uses may not need the oil, but it does for scrambled.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:06 pm

Return to “Dehydrating and Drying”