What are You Dehydrating?

Less storage space and better long term storage.
Rhodie Ranch

Re: What are You Dehydrating?

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Wed May 06, 2020 6:36 pm

OF: I've been hoarding the seal type bags for years. When I see them at garage sales, I snap them up. Most of them are rolls. So far this year, in my zeal to hoard food, I've used 4 completely new rolls and one half box of misc lengths.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Wed May 06, 2020 10:51 pm

OF I’ve used the bags you have and they sealed fine but you can’t let them run a full cycle or they melt. I would just seal for half the time of the thicker bags. I do the same thing with the cellophane treat type bags.

BTW you can’t do them on the Food Saver machine because it won’t release as quickly, I use my old Rival seal a meal for those type bags.

Back when I could eat wheat I would make brownie and biscuit mixes and seal them in the cellophane bags to have ready for quick baking.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Thu May 07, 2020 8:36 am

That is good to know Patrice, thanks . I'll be pulling out the old Seal a Meal, next time I have something to seal.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Tue May 12, 2020 11:30 pm

Finally got around to doing some onions that are outside under the eaves now.

Strange, but tonight when I went to my dehydrated stuff to use for supper since I didn't have any fresh......I could NOT find any celery and I am sure I had 3 or 4 gallon bags of it that I had dried last year when I found that big sale on celery and bought like 10 bunches. But I could only find 1 bag of leaves. |em22|

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Wed May 13, 2020 8:56 am

You tucked it away so well that you can’t find it now, that happens here a lot. Maybe you put it in a jar or in a bucket for safe keeping.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Wed May 13, 2020 9:55 pm

I have been known to do that all too often |em28|

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:22 pm

Last time I hit Wally's I found some #10 cans of potato slices $1.50 each......could NOT pass that up. I bought 2 cans and should have grabbed the rest, but didn't.

Got a gallon Ziploc from them AND I added some cheese cause for All Rotten (au gratin) for supper last night with a pork roast.

Return to “Dehydrating and Drying”