What kinds of things do you dehydrate?

Less storage space and better long term storage.
Farmfresh

Re: What kinds of things do you dehydrate?

Unread post by Farmfresh »

Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

I’ve dehydrated frozen mixed vegetables before as well as fresh celery, bell peppers, onions, apples and strawberries. I dehydrated raspberries one time and they turned out awful. That was a waste of time and money.

I just got done loading the dehydrator with celery and bell peppers from the freezer. I have 2 full trays of each and I have a bunch more sliced and chopped bell peppers in the freezer as well as several bags of sliced & diced onions in there that will go in next.

A neighbor gave me about 10 lbs of onions and a 10 lb bag of potatoes this morning. She got them as part of the boxes she gets from the food bank and she can’t use them all. I told her to slice & dice the onions and put them in the freezer but she doesn’t want to do that so she gave them to me.

I’m out of dehydrated onions so those will come in handy to refill my stash.

I just wish I had a bigger dehydrator, I have a 4 tray Nesco one that’s probably 20 years old. I have the screens and fruit roll up trays for it. It’s going to be getting a work out with all these onions and peppers.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

Still it is worth the work. You should be able to buy extra trays for your Nesco. I have done that before. What size is it?
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

patriceinil

I’m not sure of the size of the trays, it’s the 500 watt Snackmaster Express model FD60

patriceinil

I just looked it up and they are 13 1/2” round trays. It would be silly to buy more trays, they want $14.99 for 2 trays from Nesco. I can but a whole 4 tray dehydrator kit from Walmart for $65.

patriceinil

I noticed that the veggies that were frozen are dehydrating quicker than fresh blanched ones. I think since the water in the vegetables froze and leached out of them once they were completely frozen that it is making it easier for the dehydrator to dry them.

Return to “Dehydrating and Drying”