Kimchee

Delicious and nutritious ... thanks to the right bacteria.
Rhodie Ranch

Kimchee

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:08 pm

I love one brand of kimchi - its made by a local lady in Grants Pass and its so tasty! It does get hotter as it sits in the frigerator. Its $12 for a quart jar.

After browsing the links that Patience posted about gut bacteria and my continual issues of loose stools (some at inconvenient times), I wonder if some ferments might help me.

Suggestions on home made kimchi?

Old Fashioned

Re: Kimchee

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:25 pm

Sorry I'm not much help for Kimchee recipes. I could never get past the smell and is on my short list of foods I'll probably never eat...…..but I do understand those gut issues and why I'm starting up the kefir again.

I did look up a recipe for you, but can't verify how good it is or not. but I hope you feel better soon. |em25|

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/10517 ... ge-kimchi/

Patience

Unread post by Patience » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:16 pm

Rhodie we soak our napa cabbage (cut in half) in brine (1 cup kosher salt per gallon of water) overnight, weighted to keep the cabbage submerged, then drain it, cut it up and put it in the kimchi mix to ferment.

Our recipe from says this two step process is what makes it kimchi.

We use minced ginger and garlic, carrots, daikon radish or turnips, leeks or scallions, and the napa cabbage. We sometimes toss parsnips in. Add a dash of oyster sauce or fish sauce if you like.

Just chop or slice all the veggies to suit. Brian gets all artistic with his. I save the veggie scraps and make stock with them.

We use gochugaru pepper flakes. I believe it is a korean hot pepper, our Jay C stores carry it. Believe we use 2-3 tablespoons of it - not the half cup our recipe calls for!

The brined cabbage should have enough salt for the ferment, taste it and see if it is salty enough to suit you once it has all melded.

We have put our own cured sausage in finished kimchi and let it run a while longer. Also boiled eggs, we refrigerate it for the eggs.

Funny, we were just talking about needing to make a batch of kimchi this afternoon.
Last edited by Patience on Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:55 am

Oh oh oh!!!! Thanks!!

Patience

Unread post by Patience » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:38 am

Quite welcome Rhodie! We are thrilled to have folks to talk fermenting with!

Our Walmart carries kimchi now. It is really good. Think a pint is around $5.

Return to “Ferments”