Sauerkraut

Delicious and nutritious ... thanks to the right bacteria.
Rhodie Ranch

Sauerkraut

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:32 pm

I made some Sauerkraut in a crock with a ziploc of water on top to hold it all down. It took about a month. On FB, Meg mentioned that she uses whey to make kraut and it only takes 4 days. House Sparrow said even with whey it takes a while to ferment.

I don't want to use whey cus that is where the Lactose sugar is present in milk, and I'm lactose intolerant.

That said, how do you make Kraut?

Farmfresh

Re: Sauerkraut

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:37 pm

I have tried before with poor salty luck. Hopefully someone can save us both.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

annaraven

Unread post by annaraven » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:24 am

I do it without the whey. But I'm okay with it taking some time.

Valerie

Unread post by Valerie » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:16 am

I wanted to try this fall- I even planted cabbages that the horrible green worms seem to have decimated. I have a fermenting crock, but Sauerkraut didn't happen. I have to say, I did pickles fermented with whey because someone said that would solve my mushy pickle problem. They are fantastic! When I do try sauerkraut I will probably use whey. You don't use much- it is more of an innoculant to start boosting the process than anything that is a significant part of the final product. I guess it depends on how allergic you are to lactose, but I don't think there is that much in it by the time the bacteria finishes eating it.

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:44 am

^ I didn't know that! Thanks.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:37 am

I'm not a huge kraut fan and it's been several years since I've made any.......but the way my Ma always made it was so simple, but does take a couple of months.
She always fresh packed the cabbage into the canning jars with a spoon of salt, covered with boiling water, then put on the lids & let them sit in the pantry for 6-8 weeks. The longer they sat, the stronger & sourer they got. ( :lol: yes I know that's not really a word, but you get the idea)
There was no need to pack down or worry about mold or other 'bad' things going on with it since they were covered and already in the jars. There was no canning process done to seal the jars so there would be enough air allowed to ferment the cabbage & they would end up sealing themselves by the time they were done. She never lost any either & were all good.

|em28| She always accused me of liking salted cabbage since I didn't care for it after it had sat too long & was really puckery sour to me anyway, others would say it was just right kraut. I'd eat it & enjoy it when we'd first open a jar that season, but not so much after that

calendula

Unread post by calendula » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:21 am

I have never heard of that method OF, I just might have to try that! I do a short lacto-ferment with cabbage. I just add lots of salt and a little ACV and let it sit for a few days on the counter. I'm the only one who eats it--a couple tablespoons a day to get some beneficial micro-flora into my gut.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:13 pm

Cal, if you do try this method do remember to heat up the flat lids in simmering water & everything like usual. Just don't run them thru the canner.

I'm thinking about doing up a batch this summer just to see if the boys & hubby like kraut and if my tastes have changed any over the years :grin: I do love Rueben's tho |em24|

Icu4dzs

Unread post by Icu4dzs » Sun May 24, 2020 7:50 pm

Once again, late to the party. WW just bought some special lids that fit on wide mouth canning jars. She put cabbage and sea salt in it with some water and a weight. We waited for nearly 30 days. The results were fabulous. These lids let gas escape but nothing else gets in.
She is now using purple cabbage for the second attempt.
I hope this run turns out as good as the first one. If it does we will be expanding our fermentation to new things.
Your believing it is not required for it to be true. TMM
I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and NOT have it!
Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//

HybridHomesteader

Unread post by HybridHomesteader » Sun May 24, 2020 9:26 pm

Nourishing Traditions book is the one where the whey recipes comes from. I’ve done it that way. I love it because it’s fresh crisp and tangy at the same time. I’ve done beets like that too.
https://kellythekitchenkop.com/nourishi ... auerkraut/

Doc, WW is basically making old school sauerkraut she just has new fangled lids.

I should get some.

😁
Gina, Hybrid Homesteader, It'sMeG, TanksHill.... Mom, Wife, trouble maker extraordinaire.

Return to “Ferments”