Making our food safe and delicious.
dizzy

Re: Uses of LOCAL honey

Unread post by dizzy » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:07 pm

Okay, that answers that question. https://www.harveyshoney.com/about_us.htm

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:25 pm

Thanks Doc, you did understand the difference I was trying to make and NO I wouldn't give it to a baby these days, but back then it hadn't been an issue. But then again rubbing a dab of whiskey on teething gums wasn't unheard of either. Another practice I wouldn't do or recommend.

I don't know about anywhere else, but around here bee keeping and honey gathering is a big thing. Everybody & their brothers have hives of some sort and all the needed equipment is being sold at feed & hardware stores, anywhere you look. So I have little doubt the lady on the street corner selling out of the back of her car was legit and real honey...I just wasn't sure if it was 'safe' to buy & consume

As for the Farmer's Market.....they charge an arm & a leg for anything they sell because they know of the 'local' food craze and are cashing in on it. And I'm not about to pay twice the price, just cause YOU picked it |em3|

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:48 pm

Yeah, you mentioned the price gouging at your Farmer markets before. That is really too bad too. We get great prices on produce at ours.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:25 pm

Of course, we're Western Washington/Seattle and all those things are 'trendy' here, so everyone's got to get top dollar for run of the mill goods. Not to say it's inferior quality, but geez a carrot is a carrot is a carrot. I'm not about to pay $3 for half dozen carrots, or $2lb for tomatoes, or $7-$10 for a pint of honey.....just cause it's the trendy thing to do |em3|

(ok those prices are guess's, since I stay away from those places for that reason, but I doubt I'm that far off and probably is even higher)

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:10 am

Meanwhile here I can get a big box over a bushel of tomato seconds for $10 to $20.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:39 pm

I don't even think they have 2nd's, atleast not when I was there......unless somebody else beat me to it. Even the couple of produce stands that I visit, I can usually find better prices than at the Farmer's Market, but even then it can be expensive. Last year, 15 to 25lb boxes of tomatoes, peaches, apples, etc were running $25-$35 each. I didn't buy any. Then the last few months the local grocery store that I get meat & produce from was having some sales and I got roma type tomatoes a few times there and paid either .69lb or .88lb respectively. No I don't know for sure where they came from or how they were grown and probably not local, but cost is a major factor. I just wish I had gotten more. Hopefully they'll have another good sale soon so I can put them up to last till the garden is producing.

Icu4dzs

Unread post by Icu4dzs » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:16 am

The answer to this is simple. Grow your own. The cost is your own labor, not the whims of the seller.
Your believing it is not required for it to be true. TMM
I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and NOT have it!
Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:57 am

Icu4dzs wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:16 am
The answer to this is simple. Grow your own. The cost is your own labor, not the whims of the seller.

Yes, I try, but for the last few years I haven't been able to get more than an adequate harvest.....if that. Either rats or chickens eat or peck at them, last year had blossom end rot in 2/3's of the plants even with added calcium & extra water. And the other 1/3, struggled to ripen. It was the worst year ever. I usually grow around 20 or more plants, so I'd have enough to can plenty of sauce, diced, salsa, etc but it's been a real challenge. I keep hoping for a bumper tomato crop year, maybe this coming will be the one.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:01 am

I try too, but some things I just need more than I can produce. Sweet corn is one item. So are honey and tomatoes and some years even zucchini. I buy those as local as possible.

As for the seconds... they won't have them out. You need to chat up a farmer with a big tomato stall, make friends and then ask for them. They always cut a better deal... at least at our markets... if they are selling to a fellow homesteader.

Icu4dzs

Unread post by Icu4dzs » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:23 am

I’m going to start experimenting with hydroponic gardening in the house this year and hopefully I will be able to sustain some form of vegetable production throughout the entire year including next winter. This winter has been much milder than the previous winter which was the most difficult of all the winters I’ve ever seen. I am hoping that the hydroponic gardening will allow me to continue to have fresh vegetables throughout the winter as long as I don’t have problems with power.
Your believing it is not required for it to be true. TMM
I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and NOT have it!
Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//

Return to “Allergy Assistance”