Grassfed Meat - What is the Difference?

Farmfresh

Grassfed Meat - What is the Difference?

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun May 31, 2020 7:39 am

There is a lot of controversy out there about how to "finish" animals for meat ... especially about beef. I have heard a LOT of people talk about the ONLY way to produce a good meat animal is to corn feed them at the end. "Cows can't get fat on grass" is what they are saying. Bull. Check out this video about Greg Judy's grass fed meat and tell me. Are you hungry yet?

Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Old Fashioned

Re: Grassfed Meat - What is the Difference?

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sun May 31, 2020 1:53 pm

I don't know about all the logistics of it...…….but I do know true grass fed & finished beef tastes a lot different than what you find in the stores. It's been YEARS since I've had any, but would know the taste instantly. It's more tangy than store bought grain fed with just a slight bit more chew to it. Not in a bad way though.

2 stories about it...…

1.) When we drove to Yellowstone many years ago I ordered steak everywhere we stopped for a meal just to see if there was any difference in taste. We took our time, taking a total of 2 weeks for our trip that could have been done in 3 days. Anyway I did notice changes the closer to Montana we got and even the further in state as well. By the time we got to Livingston I was sure the beef was nearly all grass fed, with that familiar tanginess vs the sweet grain fed we get at home.

2.) Several years ago, hubs was at a garage sale where the owner was getting ready to move out of state and they made a bargain for the 'home raised' beef in his freezer. When we had it for the first time in a meal I knew instantly but hubs insisted it was bad meat and I could NOT convince him otherwise. He'd never eaten it, or didn't remember. I was NOT a happy camper with him

Other than those 2 times as an adult, I haven't had it since my childhood. And I remember distinctly going with Ma to the grocery store in the late 60's/early 70's when meat was labelled as grass fed or grain fed or corn fed and the 'corn' fed may have been pork, not beef. And not too long after that, stores stopped labelling and everything tasted sweeter |em11|

I will also say here that one time I bought a meat pack from a butcher shop as grass fed/grain finished......and honestly I couldn't taste the 'grass' only the grain sweetness so was disappointed with that

Farmfresh

Re: Grassfed Meat - What is the Difference?

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun May 31, 2020 2:31 pm

Grain finishing is what did it. The meat is a richer color as well with the grass fed.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Return to “Processing Large Animals”