My sewing machine project

patriceinil

Re: My sewing machine project

Unread post by patriceinil » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:26 am

Cheap or old thread can be a major problem with the finish of sewing projects.

Cheap thread will not stitch properly and will give you more tension problems than a good name brand thread will. The reason is the material using in making and finishing the thread itself. Good quality thread has a coating on it to allow for even stitching without it splintering, snagging or fraying.

You also need to match thread type to the fabric to avoid similar problems. Some thread types aren’t suitable for different applications. Cotton quilting thread should only be used with cotton fabric for quilting not everyday sewing. That is because it doesn’t have the strength to hold up in something like a garment where a poly cotton blend would.

I hope this was helpful, I am just trying to help you understand sewing can be a bit more complicated than just picking a fabric you like to make something and then you are disappointed with the finished product.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:39 pm

Well crap, that is more complicated than I anticipated......but yes, it's good info to know. Thank you

Maybe it really IS better (and safer) to go back to hand stitching |em28|

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:58 pm

Don’t let it scare you off of sewing with a machine OF. Check out some YouTube videos and watch some of the sewing shows on your local PBS station. It took me many years of sewing to gain the knowledge and experience that I have. I really started sewing in high school, I had a few sewing classes. It’s what I’ve gained over the years from TV & YouTube that have helped more.

This gal is very good with her instructional videos, I watch all of her new posts.

This guy is good too.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:42 pm

Anyone that can pressure can can use a sewing machine OF. We are here if you need help at anytime.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Return to “Sewing”