In Search of... Good Workwear

Farmfresh

In Search of... Good Workwear

Unread post by Farmfresh » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:08 pm

We don't live like most people. I could care a spit less for high fashion or high heels, but give me a line on a good pair of work pants or a nice warm jacket and I am all about it. I want clothes that keep me warm ... or cool, and COMFORTABLE. Clothes that can take a licking. Clothes that don't cost a fortune and that will last.

What work wear do YOU wear. Why do you use what you use? What can you not live without?

Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Old Fashioned

Re: In Search of... Good Workwear

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:39 pm

I only wear clothes because it's illegal not too and it gets cold & breezy without :lol:

So that being said, I go cheap and many times I live in sweats and when it's really cold I have an old plaid insulated jacket I wear...…I do look like some crazy old homeless bum, especially when I leave the house for any reason like going to the store. I do get some strange looks, but I don't care. I'm covered, I'm comfortable, I'm warm and for those reasons I'm happy.

Hubs and the boys did or do like things like Carharts or Dickies and they can hold up to some heavy duty wear & tear that came make them worth the extra costs, I just haven't bought them for myself yet.

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:03 pm

most everything for me comes from the thrift store. When I went on my trip, my traveling companions thought my outfits were so cute! Yup..a fraction of the price of new.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:59 pm

Hmmm... Old insulated plaid coat... like this one?

|em26|

Me in my evil elf hat (it is WARM) that I made. Just so you know I have a nice brown plaid one with no sleeve holes for "goin' to town" in.

|em15|
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:13 am

|em26| OMG Farm, we could be twins...….though my jacket is red and I have a pale pink knitted cap that I pull over my head in the cold.

Murph, much of my 'town' clothes have been around the block more often than I have (from thrift stores) |em12|

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:17 am

I knew I had another sister out there. |em8| :grin:

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:28 am

Oh no we’re triplets NOT twins FF! |em26| And all this time I thought I was just a twin. |em12|

Seriously I buy most of my clothes on clearance or get them as gifts. I like checking the thrift stores when I’m up to it but sadly that isn’t often anymore.

Shoes are the only thing I will not skimp on or purchase used! I have too many problems with my feet to cause another from bad footwear. Speaking of, I really need to buy a good pair of sturdy hiking boots for working in the yard. After purchasing a new pair of gym shoes last month and the sticker shock of their price, I better do that ASAP!

Icu4dzs

Unread post by Icu4dzs » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:15 pm

OK, well since this is NOT exclusively for the wimens...I'm going to actually chime in here.
As several of you mentioned, the Salvation Army or Good Will Store has great buys on things that are just too bloody expensive in the big box stores. My recommendation is buy all the polar fleece "whatever" you can get your hands on...in the event that it turns into "Unobtanium" with this change in the economy coming round the bend. I also buy lots of denim pants/shirts there as well because it is tough.
If however, you have the $$ to buy things without a lot of devastation to your bank account, I would have said, "Try Duluth Trading Company" which for a while I managed to get some good work pants with a great profile of POCKETS. This however, became unreasonable as their prices became astronomical (IMHO). I was in Mills Fleet/Farm store and ran into "CAT" brand work clothes. They managed to combine the best of the Duluth Trading company design and some other features into some great work pants with even more pockets that can sit OUTSIDE the regular pants pockets, much like a carpenters nail apron. Those hold LOTS of great things to have with you on a farm and don't have to be in your pocket where it wears a hole just for being there.
The best part of that is they are about "1/2" the cost of the Duluth Trading company stuff. You have to look for it, but I bought two pairs to "keep for JIC" after discovering the first pair. They even put the pockets for the knee pads to open from the top (not like the bottom on the Duluth ones...what idiots...)
So there's my $0.02
Cheers,
Trim sends
Your believing it is not required for it to be true. TMM
I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and NOT have it!
Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:27 pm

I’ve seen “CAT” brand around here, I think it was at the farm store. I’ll have to check it out, thanks for the heads up on it doc.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:52 pm

Please chime in because I wear mens work wear FAR more than womens.

Return to “In Search of a Good ...”